Chapter 35

The elevator doors opened instantly when I pressed the button. I was also undisturbed by other guests or workers on the way to the correct floor.

I almost had to remind myself not to run through the hallways because I was moving so fast. The anticipation of seeing Zayn again was building within me. I was immediately in the NICU, washing my hands again, and swiftly moving in the room to see Zayn and Valentina.  

Zayn’s eyes lit up even more than they already were when he saw me. I sat down on his lap when I reached him, pressing my lips to his within seconds of being in his arms.

“Hi babe.” Zayn quietly said when he pulled away. He nuzzled his face into my neck, giving me short kisses where he was breathing periodically. I didn’t say anything back to him. I wanted to savor the moment I had with him, and Valentina. She was resting in her incubator only a few feet away from us. “I love you so much.” I heard him whisper against my skin.

“I love you too. How was your trip?” I asked, pulling away slightly so I could look him in the eyes.

Zayn pushed a strand of hair behind my ear like he always does. His fingers that barely brushed against my cheek sent shivers throughout my entire body. “It was good. I couldn’t stand being away from you and Valentina though. I never want to do that again.”

I was smiling. Zayn always knew what to say to make me happy. Being in his arms again was the best feeling in the world. Knowing I was going to have my family by my side for a little while longer, before Zayn had to do some work thing again, made me feel like nothing could ever go wrong. This was my life now, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

“You know you’re going to have to.”I stated, not meaning to bring up the fact that in a few short months this family would be separated again.

Zayn put his head back in the crook of my neck. “Don’t say that. I just got home. We aren’t thinking about any of it until the time comes.”  

I rested my head on top of his, admiring Valentina as we sat there. “Okay. I’m glad you’re home. I missed you.”

“How was it having me gone? Were you alright?” Zayn sat up straight.

I nodded. “Yeah. It was only five days. I kept myself busy at home and spent all of my spare time here. You should see all of the Christmas decorations I put up.”

Zayn had a worried look on his face. “Sweetie, you just had a baby not even two weeks ago. Why were you doing all of that stuff? Your stitches could have come open or something.”

“It’s not like I was on the roof putting lights up. I just set some stuff out, and tree is up too." I explained.

"You put up the tree? Rose, I'm serious about wanting you to not do anything that will hurt you." I felt Zayn's hand rubbing my lower back.

"So does that mean I can't decorate the tree with you?"

He had a puzzled look in his eye. "You didn't decorate it?"

I shook my head. "No. Why would I do that? It's our first Christmas together. I wanted to do it with you."

A smile grew wide on his face. "I'd love to do that with you. How about tonight?  We can leave a little earlier than we usually do and get that done."

I looked down at my lap, feeling sad because of his suggestion. "You want to leave early? You don't want to spend time with Val? You just got here."

"Babe, you know I want to spend time with her. I want to spend time with you too though. We'll be back tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and every day she's in here until we can bring her home. I, unfortunately,  can't cuddle with her though, so I need to find someone to help me out with my problem." Zayn wrapped his arms around my body tighter.