Chapter 31

Just so you know, this is unedited. I'll go back soon and fix it up. :)

--------------------------------------------

I could hear the sound of whispering voices around me. They had woken me from my slumber, and I really didn’t like that. I wasn’t in the mood to be woken up. Not after the day I’d had.

After getting out of surgery I was immediately wheeled into the recovery room. I still hadn’t had the chance to see my daughter. While I was sitting in the room, waiting for whatever needed to happen to happen, Dr. Mitchell, and another doctor, Dr. Francis Wilder, came in and explained to Zayn and I what was going on.

They explained to us that since she was born so early, she would have to stay in the neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU. They also said that she was going to have to stay in an incubator until her body temperature could regulate itself. And since she wasn’t breathing when she was born, she was currently on a breathing machine. The doctors also needed to feed her using a tube, which I eventually learned was put in through her nose and down to her stomach. It broke my heart knowing she was in this condition. I didn’t stop crying until I was in my own room where Zayn and I would be staying for a few days. I actually only stopped crying when I fell asleep.

Now that I was awake, I didn’t want to open my eyes. I feared that I would break down again, and I didn’t want to. Not in front of whoever was in the room with me.

I decided that I should look to see was here anyway. Reluctantly, my eyes slowly opened. The lights from London at night were shining through the window. There was a light on in the corner of the room, and I could see Zayn sitting on the couch talking to my mom. His mom was sitting in a chair next to him. I didn’t know where the rest of my family was though.

“Zayn.” I said quietly, gaining the attention of the people in the room. I tried to sit up a little, but I was in too much pain to move.

Zayn got off the couch, along with our mothers, and came to my side. “How are you feeling?” He asked. When he reached me one of his hands ran through my hair repeatedly.

“Um….” I shifted my weight a little, “it hurts. I don’t care though. Where is she? I want to see her.”

“Sweetie.” Mom stepped up next to me on the other side of the bed. Patricia stood next to her. “You need to rest. You just had surgery.”

I shook my head. “No. I need to see her.” I started crying. Dr. Mitchell mentioned to me that my hormones  would be a little out of whack for a while. “She needs me. She hasn’t even seen her mom yet.”

“Rose.” Patricia stepped closer to me, almost pushing my mom out of the way. “I can assure you that she is okay.”

Zayn spoke up next to me. “Yeah. Dr. Wilder has been with her. He’s come back here a few times to tell me what’s going on. She is doing fine. He said she’s doing better than fine. Everything is perfect. She just needs a little extra help for a while.”

“How long is a while?” I asked him. I didn’t want her to need their help. I wanted to be the one to help her, but I knew that because of the state she was in, it wasn’t an option.

Zayn looked at me. I knew he wanted to tell me something, but for some reason he wasn’t saying it. “Can you two leave us alone for a few minutes?” His gaze went to the two women standing across from him.

“Baby can we just….” Patricia started to say before Zayn cut her off.

“Mom. Please. Only for a couple minutes. Go tell everyone she’s awake. I know they’d like to see her.”