UNEARTHED

A sharp pain shot through your back and you winced, sitting up on the bed you were laying on. You rubbed your eyes restlessly, blinking a few times before looking around at your surroundings. A frown slowly made its way onto your face as you realized: this elegant bedroom most certainly didn't fit the Joker's color scheme.

That's when it all came rushing back.

You scrambled off the massive bed and bolted to the door, whipping it open as you ran through a never-ending hallway in the clothes you were wearing when it happened. You gasped for air, still feeling the effects of some kind of sedative coursing through your exhausted body. You leaned up against the pale gray wall, closing your eyes and taking a couple deep breaths in.

You wanted the Joker right now, but that's the farthest thing from what you needed. He left you.

- - - -
[ Joker's POV ]

"What do you mean the prisoner is untraceable? Don't tell me you forgot to put a positional device on the Bat's car."

Silence.

The Joker roared and shot the man nearest him,"IF YOU CAN'T DO YOUR JOBS RIGHT I'LL JUST DO THEM MYSELF!"

The clown grabbed a nearby machine gun off the table, a horrible scraping sound echoing through the room as he snatched it off of the table. He stormed out of the building, growling and slamming the door to his pink Vaydor. He tossed the gun to the passenger side, the metal clattering against the glass window.

"Fuck... FUCK!" He screamed, slamming his fists against the steering wheel, the squeal of tires burning echoing through Gotham as he sped away. He needed to find you. He needed you. Now.

- - - -

[ Your POV ]

"I thought you might be up soon."

You gasped, turning around to to face the voice. A man stood there calmly in casual clothing, outstretching a hand holding a mug of what looked to be coffee. You took a small step back tentatively, eyes darting between the man and everything else in the elaborate mansion.

"Who are you, and why am I here?"

The man brought the mug closer to himself, looking at the vaulted ceiling,"I'm Bruce Wayne. And you're here for safety. You were kidnapped by the Joker."

You laughed coldly,"Yeah, I think I remember that part. But last I remember, Batman kidnapped me."

You paused,"Wait, Bruce Wayne as in Wayne Enterprises? The Bruce Wayne?"

The man dropped his head, raising the mug,"That would be me," He looked up at you, smiling softly and beckoning you to walk with him,"Come, I'll show you around. We've got a lot to talk about."

Your hands were warm with the sensation of the coffee mug that he handed over, and upon closer inspection, it was hot cocoa. You smiled, taking a sip and following Bruce through the brightly lit halls - a stark contrast to the dark and gloomy appearance of the Joker's place. However, his place felt lived in, unlike the museum-like air surrounding Wayne Manor. It was unnerving, but still felt safe. Your steps echoed through the halls, while his black dress shoes eerily silent against the hard tile floors. You glanced around at the sparse walls, the ghostly outline of where pictures used to be hung apparent on the sun-bleached paint. 

You frowned, sipping your hot cocoa as you followed the man closely. The both of you turned into a large dining room, ceilings vaulted three stories tall and a banquet table sixteen seats wide spread across the rug adorned tile floor. A suited older man stood near the table with a silver trolley, filled with fresh food and covered platters enough for five. Bruce smiled and waved to the man, who in turn bowed as his white mustache curled up with a smile.

"Master Wayne."

"Alfred - Please get our guest settled for lunch."

"Of course."

The older man held out his hand to guide you to the middle of the table, pulling out your chair. You smiled weakly, taking a seat. You felt like royalty. Food platters were placed in front of you as Bruce Wayne took a seat your opposite at the dining table. He nodded with a smile to Alfred, and the older man took his leave. You didn't really know what to do with your hands, still holding the mug of warm cocoa to your chest as Bruce began plating himself some food.

"Please," He gestured to the platters, "Help yourself. You've been through a lot lately. You've been missing for quite a while, and I'm sure the Joker hasn't been treating you with much care."

You shrugged silently, scooping some potatoes and green beans onto your plate,"It wasn't... horrible. But it wasn't necessarily pleasant."

The dark haired man stared at you sympathetically, setting his silverware down,"My apologies for prying, but I know the way the Joker operates. Has he hurt you in any way? I can get you high quality medical care immediately, if so."

A bite of potatoes later, you shook your head and chewed,"I'm fine." Mostly.

Bruce Wayne didn't need to know about the scarring, the electroshock, and all the emotional turmoil that man put you through. You chewed silently, thinking back to Jackson. What would happen to him? What was the Joker doing now? It had obviously been around twelve hours since Batman had kidnapped you, so where was the Joker...

And where was Batman?

Your eyes drifted up from your food to the man in front of you, and you swallowed thickly. 

"Quick question... Are you Batman?"

The man smiled, and you felt your heart drop.

The Joker was fucked if he found you.