First Date

Matthews' apartment at 12:00

Maya's POV

I walked down the hall to meet Josh at Topanga's.

"Hey peaches!" Riley called to me from down the hall. "Where ya going?" Riley ran up to me.

"I have a date." I answered.

"Oh yeah." Riley rolled her eyes. "With my uncle."

"Yeah that's the one." I started walking away, but Riley stopped me.

"Maya, he might be only 18 now, but soon he'll be 19, and you'll go back to being 3 years younger than him. And he's an older guy! Bad things can happen when young girls go out with older guys." Riley warned me.

"Riles, he's your uncle! I trust him. Why don't you?" I asked.

"I trusted him before. But now that you two are dating, not so much." she replied.

"Riley, look, I'm gonna be late. I have to go." I said while pushing past her.

"Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you!" Riley called after me.

"Blah blah blahhhh blah blah blah-" I kept this up until I reached the elevator.

Riley can't tell me who I should or shouldn't trust!

I walked down the busy streets of New York.

It was the same old, same old boring New York City I know and love.

Smelly fumes coming from taxis, people bustling to the subway, oh, and that guy over there getting mugged.

I walked into Topanga's and scanned the room for Josh.

He looked up at me and waved.

"Hey Maya! Good to see you." He said.

"Good to see you, too." I said in reply. "So what were you up to this morning?" I asked him.

"I was going back to my old dorm room to get the last of my stuff." He patted a backpack next to his seat.

We ordered our food and started up a lively conversation.

"So what college are you planning to go to in two years?" Josh asked.

"I'm planning on going to NYU. Or maybe Miami International University of Art and Design." I replied.

"Ah, still into art." He grinned.

"Of course." I grinned back. We stared at each other for what seemed like hours.

We talked a bit about college, what it was like, what to do, what not to do, what courses to take, the hard courses, the easy ones and so on and so forth.

Then we got our food.

I got fries, a coke, and a sandwich. Josh got the same.

I finished everything on my plate before Josh even took his first bite. I sat there licking my fingers while he stared at me. "What?" I asked.

"Wow, are you hiding your food in your pockets? Or do you have a mini vacuum in your sleeve?" He teased. He doesn't know why, and I don't want him to feel bad that he made that joke.

"I've been living with my mom more than with Riley, and we don't have a lot of food at my house. I pretty much binge eat when I get the chance."

He gave me a pity smile.

"Don't give me that look, boy!" I said it with sass. "I hate it when people pity me. They act as if I'm not even human. Like I'm less than them. Like I have no value." I drifted off.