﴾21♦Drunk﴿

The world was a jumble of colors and light, spinning around her as she moved her body to the music, linking arms with strangers and skipping in circles. Suddenly the music paused, and after a second, the whole tavern clapped their hands, restarting the music with a picked up speed. She laughed louder than I'd ever heard her laugh before, and a smile graced my lips the whole night.

After her first sip, she'd taken another, and then another. And when that mug emptied, she got another, and another. She couldn't stand straight, and relied on the help of others to hold her up as she jumped from partner to partner. I sat back at the bar, my first mug still in my hands as I watched her enjoy the night to the fullest.

My gaze froze on hers, and my smile widened as she danced in my direction. For someone who lived in the forest most of her life, away from any city celebrations, she new how to dance. It was an old dance, outlawed by the King during his first few years of rules, though watching Iris dance like that, I couldn't understand why he'd outlaw something that would make someone move so beautifully.

She reached, a smile on her face as she plucked the mug from my hand and set it aside on the counter. Then without stopping her dance, she took my hands and slowly pulled me up off the stool. My eyes stayed on her as we danced, a hand on her waist and one holding her hand. Our feet moved in the pattern. Left and right, forwards and back. Kick right, kick left, spin her, spin yourself. Only those born before Gadreel's reign learned the dance, but that didn't stop generations from teaching each other.

She laughed as I spun her, stretching out my arms and spinning her again. It was a little different from the pattern, but I didn't think she minded. In fact, I think she liked it a bit, since she smiled wider. So I followed my own pattern, spinning her when I felt like it, dipping her, lifting her into the air. My gaze never wavered from her but I knew the other patrons had moved out of the way, giving us more room to dance. As the song came to an end, I spun her one last time before setting her down slowly.

A roar of applause boomed in the tavern, and I bowed slightly, cheeks red as I ushered Iris out the door. Enough was enough, I think. She stumbled and tripped on nearly every step, but she laughed it off as if she was never hurt and it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen. It was quite adorable.

"Are you alright, Iris?" I asked, holding back my laugh as she tried to follow a straight line down the cobblestone road, and failed miserably.

"Everything is spinning. I believe you spun me one too many times." She said, nearly tipping over again. I caught her last minute and set her up right. "I'd never danced like that. It was most unusual. The pattern was odd, not like the official dances."

"I wanted to try something new." I told her, rolling my eyes with a smile as she fell once more. I picked her up, an arm at her back, and one behind her knees.

She nodded appreciatively and wrapped her arms around my neck. "It was very fun. You should make that official." Her nose twitched and she rubbed at it, but it kept twitching. She opened her mouth and took a deep breath before letting out a loud sneeze, that almost sent me off my feet in the other direction.

My eyes followed the direction of the sneeze and I gaped at the results. The potted plants from one of the stores were all shattered and thrown in different directions. I stood still in my spot, eyes wide and gaze unwavering.

"Aren't you going to say bless you?" She huffed, nudging my shoulder. I mumbled a bless you, still looking at the plants as my feet began to move. She smiled triumphantly and settled down against my chest.

"Thank you, Nix." A yawn escaped her lips, and I scrunched my nose at the smell of alcohol on her breath but I didn't say anything. "I'm scared, Nix." She whispered, tightening her hold.

"What are you scared of?" The streets were empty now, it was probably day time outside, and I could see the mansion built into the wall.

"What if he recognizes me?" She asked softly, pushing her nose into my neck and shutting her eyes tight.

"Who?" My brows furrowed.

"What if he kills me?" Her voice became softer and softer until her breath steadied and sleep took over.

"Iris." I shook her, but she didn't wake up. "What if who kills you?" I insisted, shaking her body, but she didn't stir. I sighed and pushed through the doors of the mansion.

The echo of the doors boomed, but she didn't even shift. I'd ask her about it tomorrow, or maybe the next day once her headache had diminished. I placed her on the bed, tucking her in and brushing the hair away from her face. I contemplated laying down beside her, but then remembered that first night. I couldn't make her go through that again.

So instead, I settled into the chair once more, propping my head on my hand, and gazing one more time at Iris before closing my eyes and finally, for the first time in a week, drifting off to sleep.