﴾18♦Dukes﴿

I stared at the polished floor of the third bedroom of the day. Wiping the sweat off my brow, I stood just as the bell of the first hour rang. Seemed I missed lunch while cleaning. I didn't stop after the first room, though I was wrong assuming all the rooms were the same. The second was a pig sty. Women's clothes were thrown at every corner of the room, high heels and corsets in the oddest of places and hanging from every hook. It took me twice as long as the first room to finish cleaning.

I didn't stop there though. The third room wasn't as extreme as the others and I finished it fairly quickly. Now I had the rest of the day to myself, as long a none of the other maids saw me, but that couldn't be too hard. After putting away all the cleaning supplie, I placed the basket of laundry on top, and pushed it down the hall.

It was strangely empty. I figured the halls would be filled with royals and noblemen, but so far I'd seen no one of any high rank. A small part of me was disappointed, as well as relieved. As much as I didn't want to interact with any of them, looking at them was a different topic.

According to the maids I'd overheard, they were all gorgeous, as if royalty had no room for ugly, and perfection was the only way to live. I wanted to see why they were regarded so highly. One man in particular, a Duke Kieran Miltiades I believe, is apparently particularly good looking, but his reputation as one of the most hateful royals precedes him even within the common rooms, where he'd never step foot in.

Once my cart was put away, I quickly walked out of the kitchen, remaining in the shadows and unseen. They chatted loudly, their plates filled with fine food that reminded me of the meals my mother used to cook. My mouth watered and my stomach growled, but I remembered what Serna said. Sighing I walked back down the hallway. The large windows let the light filter through, making finding shadows harder than ever.

I looked out through the glass, the sky was cloudless and the sun was stronger than I'd ever seen it. I felt the heat on my skin and closed my eyes, tilting my head back and holding the curtains wide open. As much as I loved the shadows' safely, the sun brought a warmth I couldn't get in the forest, not without exposing myself too much in open clearings.

"My, what a beautiful sight." Gasping I opened my eyes and turned to the look. A young man with blonde, golden hair flowing down to his shoulders and empty, dark hazel eyes leaned on an open doorway. His chin was sharp enough to cut. His lean arms crossed over his broad chest and a smirk graced his perfect lips. His eyes roamed down my body and I looked down, bowing my head and keeping it lowered. "Tell me, servent, do you always slack off to stare out the window?" I closed my eyes shut, hiding my fisted hands within the ruffles of my dress.

"No, sir." I said shyly, my voice soft and fearful.

"Oh come on, lift that pretty chin up like before." I felt his fingers on my chin as he lifted my head to meet his eyes. Slowly I opened them, seeing the soulless, and empty man before me. No doubt he was beautiful, the most beautiful man I'd ever seen. I held my breath as he looked down at me, searching my face for something. "Isn't that better?" I shook my body, and squeaked out a yes, sir.

"Now, why don't you get back to work." He narrowed his eyes as he gripped my chin hard, jerking me away from him. I turned to him and curtsied.

"Yes, sir." I said spinning around once more and walking speedily in the other direction. As I turned a corner, the shadows enveloped me. My breathing was heavy and I opened the palms of my hands to see bloody crescent moons from my nails and winced when I ran my finger over them. I didn't know who that man was, but I hopped I wouldn't see him again any time soon.

****

"Before we can eat dinner, we're going to have to feed the Royals." My eyes widened as Serna placed a hot plate of food in my hands.

"You mean, the King?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"No, he eats in his own quarters with his own chef and Right hand." She placed another plate in my hand, and my mouth watered at the scent of freshly baked bread. "We can only feed the Royals. It used to be the princes and princesses, but now we only feed the very rich men of Delphon. Merchants, land owners, dukes, you know." She promptly lifted up two plates into her hands and stood beside the other servants, each holding a two plates in their hands. "We'll all walk out at once and stand behind a Royal. Wait until everyone is there wait one second, and put the plates in front of him, big plate on the left, small plate on the right." I nodded just as everyone began walking out.

The dining room was more glamorous than I'd imagined. I hadn't gotten to this part of the castle during my expeditions after my encounter with the man in the hallway, but I'd found the library, something so grand and beautiful it was hard to describe. The walls lined with thousands of books, all that knowledge and not one person there to read any of it. I'd found the garden, with such wonderfully beautiful flowers and plants I'd lost time there, feeling at home with the trees reminding me of the forest. Though the dining room didn't compare to the natural beauty of the gardens, it sure came close.

A long, white tabled stretched across the gigantic room. Three crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, providing the only light. The walls were sculpted and crafted in swirls and patterns, with beautiful paintings hanging from each wall. Around thirty men sat at the long table, all speaking animatedly with each other. The only one who hadn't spoken as we stopped behind each royal, was the man I'd seen in the hallway.

He sat at the end of the table, his status a demanding presence as he leaned one arm on the armchair, hand on his chin and gaze following my every move. I didn't look at him, or any of the royals for that matter, as the servants stopped behind the royals, waited one second, and in sync, placed dinner on the table. It was odd having to reach around the large neck of the merchant to place his even larger dinner in front of him, but I managed and stepped back.

I walked back into the kitchen with Serna tugging me by the wrist into an empty corner, a worried look on her face. She waited until everyone ignored them to speak. "Did you speak to Duke Miltiades?" I furrowed my brow in confusion. "The man at the end of the table?" My eyes widened as realization set in.

"I was walking back from my rooms and stopped to look out the window. H-He appeared out of nowhere and told me to get back to work. B-But that's it I swear!" I told her, my voice in a panic. Concern and what was most obviously fear was her eyes' response.

"He couldn't keep his eyes off you."

"Is that a big deal?" I asked, nervousness suddenly setting into my bones when Serna pursued her lips.
"Duke Miltiades is known for his reputation as one of the most disrespectful men within the Royals today. Not only servants, but the other Royals as well. He's the most powerful man in there, and he couldn't stop looking at you."

"I don't understand-"

"If he wishes it, he can make you his personal maid. Which means you will leave this side of the castle and work 24/7 to appease him."

Now I was the one pursuing my lips. It wasn't out of fear of him, like Serna probably thought, but fear out of not being able to complete my mission. The possibility of ending up a paid slave was higher than ever apparently, and although I knew I could escape anytime I wished, it would definitely prevent me from completing what I came here to do.

"There's nothing we can do now, but stay away from him. Anymore interaction and he might make the request. Come on, let's go to dinner." Nodding my head, I followed her away from the corner.