Chapter 26 ~ "...why did you leave me?"

Chapter 26: "...Why did you leave me?"

Two months passed. Christmas and New Year's came and went, and Seth and Marie moved back to their house in New York with baby Carly.

I spent the majority of my time with Luke, Randy, and Leo. They stayed by my side the entire time and supported me. I didn't want to feel like a charity project, but with the way things got tenser and tenser as the time went by, I couldn't have handled it on my own.

Rita was coming to our house more and more, and Mum was withdrawing from me. She wouldn't tell me when she was hungry or tired, wouldn't let me take her to the hospital, she'd barely even let me see her. It was nothing short of torture. 

I wanted to be with her and stay with her like Luke was doing with me, but she made it close to impossible. All I could do was watch from the sidelines to make sure she was doing well enough. The only excuse I could make was that she didn't want me to see her get sicker and sicker, or watch as she winced every time the baby moved or she walked. She was like me in that way - the only way that others would see her weaknesses was if she could barely stand them.

I couldn't even think of Dad without getting angry anymore. If he had stayed away for such a long period of time without being with his dying wife, then I had no respect for him. I didn't want him home at all, but I knew Mum did. She still loved him wholeheartedly even though he was too cowardly to show his face.

"Pres, are you okay?" I glanced up from my papers to look at Yuki, who was watching me carefully.

I quickly rubbed my baggy eyes and tried to smile. I was just so fatigued nowadays that it was tiring even to go through the school's accounting books. "I'm fine," I replied softly. I wished Luke could be here, but he was at soccer practice. Usually, he would be violating school rules and sitting with me in the StuCo room, but not today.

Yuki stared at me for another minute. "Can I do those?" he asked suddenly.

I raised my eyebrows. "These accounts? Why? They're boring as shit, I promise you."

He pushed his glasses further up his nose and shrugged. "I just wanna see them."

"Well, I'm not gonna deny a break," I muttered even though I was suspicious, pushing back from my desk. "Knock yourself out."

Yuki and I were the only two people here at school so late apart from the people at sports practice. He took my seat and I could see him absently ruffling the papers without actually looking at them.

"What do you want, Yuki?" I asked at last, growing annoyed at the noise he was making. "I know you don't want to be doing those accounts - that's why you asked me."

His head snapped up and his face reddened slightly. "I-I just wanted t-to-"

"Oh, come on," I interrupted. "You cannot possibly still be afraid of me. Haven't you noticed by now that I'm not a completely horrible person?"

He sighed. "I know that, Pres. And I'm not scared of you." I gave him a look. "I'm not!" he insisted. "I don't know what it is about you, but you're kind of human-repellant."

Human-repellant? That was a new one. "And?"

"And ever since you started dating Luke, you've become...I don't know. Happier, I guess? Even more happy than when you were with Ryan." Right, because Luke beat Ryan in the boyfriend category even though he wasn't even really my boyfriend. "But now you're getting sadder again. I mean, is everything okay between you and Luke?" he asked timidly.