Chapter 21: The Dreaded Truth

"What?" I said under my breath, taken aback.

I didn't know for sure but it seemed like Ashton was just as shocked as me, like he couldn't believe what just came out of his mouth. He stared at me his eyes wide open and his mouth parted whilst no words came out and he stood there completely speechless.

"D-did you just- did you" I started, stuttering in shock and then gave up trying to speak, and stood in front of Ashton just as speechless.

I always knew me and Ashton had a bond, a strange bond- it wasn't the bond I felt with Luke, it was different. He gave me goosebumps just when I heard his voice, he heightened my emotions for everything, he made me shudder whenever he touched me and gave me butterflies whenever I knew he was near. I'd always thought I felt this way because of Ashton- he was bad, a player, I thought these were just nerves and they could be just that but even though I felt this way, I didn't know how Ashton felt. He was a locked book, keeping all of his secrets, feelings and emotions locked away deep inside of him and getting them out was near to impossible. So, this came as a bit of a shock.

Althought I knew I heard him right, I had to reassure myself, "You're in love.. with me?" I finally managed to whisper.

"Uhh" He started getting nervous- the first time I'd ever seen Ashton nervous or hesitant.

I knew how big this was for Ashton, so I stood there waiting for him to wrap his head around what he'd just said and say something back to me.

At this moment, Chloe barged in, "Way to take the piss in here" She said.

"What piss? What?" I asked, confused before I noticed Ashtons confused facial expression turn into a smile.

"No" She laughed, "I mean you are taking ages, it's funny how you're so innocent"

Ashton stood behind her just smiling, probably at me for making such a fool of myself, what an idiot I was, I thought to myself. Utterly foolish, "Laugh it up" I rolled my eyes at him in annoyance before hearing a chuckle escape his perfect lips.

I looked at him with narrowed eyes, giving him a glare for being so rude, "I know I act like an idiot sometimes but laughing at me is honestly very rude!" I lectured him with the tip of my finger pointing to the ceiling giving him my 'princessy' attitude, as most would describe it.

He let out a loud laugh tilting his head before crossing his arms while his smile grew wider- sort of forming into a smirk.

"What?" I asked crossing my own arms rotating my body and looking away to show my annoyance.

"You're not an idiot, you're just.. innocent, you don't know anything about the world which some people would find weird but I don't... I think you're cute, live life to the fullest, don't care what people think of you" He took a deep breath as his face suddenly turned serious, "and I think I''m in love you" he admitted.

My eyes opened wide as I looked back at him over my shoulders. He was standing there, much more confident that before and nervously smiled at me.

"What?" Chloe's loud voice screamed out as she harshly took a few steps forward blocking my view of Ashton as she faced him.

"You love her?" She scoffed and stood in the same position and pointed back at me.

I gasped quietly, shocked at how rude she was being, "Chloe, don't point at me like that!" I stated moving forward to face her.

"You know what Bella, I'm done with you! You're so god damn annoying!" She groaned in annoyance while shouting at me.

I stood there confused at her reaction and to be honest, pretty surprised but I knew it was coming, at some point she would break cover. Chloe never seemed like a true friend, she seemed suspicious, weird and not really someone I had full faith in. Ashton on the other hand, seemed genuine even though he didn't look it but that's all done and over with now- it didn't matter if he loved me or not, I couldn't trust him, I couldn't!

"No she's not, Chloe. You're a lying whore" Ashton defending me stepping forward towards Chloe.

"A whore, I agree" She flirtatiously grinned, "but a liar? I beg to differ"

"You told Bella that I told you about her being a princess" He explained, "I didn't. I havn't even spoken to you for like 2 months until now, unfortunately." He said with a expressionless face.

This is what I was waiting for. An explanation.

"What!?" She exclaimed, "I just saw you last week, at the hospital!! and before that we spent countless nights together" Chloe said, her eyes tearing up.

"Nights?" I stood there, questioning why it was plural, a sharp pain stinging my stomach.

"And now you're saying you're in love with Bella!? When just a week ago we had such a romantic night together?" She gasped before letting out a helpless sob.

Even though I was suspecting Chloe, she genuinely seemed hurt and heartbroken by his words, and that was making me question what exactly Ashton's intentions were.

"What no! no we didn't! Bella don't listen to her, she's talking crap!" Ashton tried to reassure me but, I didn't know if I could believe him and the only way to find out if I could trust him was to figure out if he told my secret or not.

"Chloe, when and where did Ashton tell you about my secret" I tried to interrogate her to see if she could be caught stuttering.

"The Thursday before the last, when we were spending the night together in his bed and had just... you know." She stated, confidently and without hesitation causing the pain in my stomach to grow as a began to believe it to be true.

"What made him tell you?" I asked in flat voice that barely managed to come out.

"He said he was stressed and wanted to share his troubles with someone he cared about, which he said was me" She stated, her face looking sympathetic towards me, "I told him that you might not want your secret told.. to anyone. But he insisted." She finished her sentence as I stared at her completely heartbroken.

"She's lying Bella! Don't buy what shes saying- it's bullshit!" He shouted in anger making Chloe let out a cry of pain.

"Bella, I'm telling the truth and I can even prove it- I used to be Ashton's ex girlfriend, I bet he didn't tell you" She said causing me to stare at Ashton in shock, a single tear slowly travelling down my rosy cheeks.

"Is that true?" I looked into his eyes.

After a while, he looked down at the floor and hesitantly nodded, "But I can explain, I didn't think it was important to mention, because It only lasted a month or so and it was completely over!" He quickly defended himself.

"Well" I sniffled, "clearly it's not." I said and ran out of the room, shouting back, "don't follow me" as I ran off.

He didn't tell me about Chloe being his ex.

He was the only one who knew my secret and he is the only one who could have told it.

Clearly he's not trustworthy and if Chloe was right about this, then she was probably right about everything else she said: when, where, what he said when it happened and if all of that was true, I never wanted to see Ashton again.