Falling For Freedom

"... And they sealed the monsters underground with a magic spell. A barrier is the one thing keeping them underground forever."

Her words raced through my head as I continued to climb up the slope on the mountain. My grandmother had told me about an old legend of the monsters that lived with humans a long time ago.

"You must never climb Mount Ebott in search of them. No one knows how they'll react to a human child. They could hurt you, or worse! No one knows what happened to them after they were trapped underground."

I listened to her stories and by far, this was my favorite. But I could still hear my mother, yelling at us both...

"F/N! Stop talking about those horrid monsters! They all died long ago! No one cares about them or your story! And you, Y/N! Inside that mountain is just ruins upon ruins of monster corpses. If you really do want to die, I'll be happy to escort you to the mountain myself!"

My mother never wanted a child. She always called me a 'mistake'. My father died in the war and she was left to care for me. My grandmother was too old.

I climbed up another rock, heaving my backpack over my head and sat down. I looked across the town I used to love. The sun was rising steadily and cast a beautiful golden light over everything in sight. Even over the graveyard.

Just before my grandmother passed away, she whispered these words:

"Promise me,
You will find,
A better family.
One who will love you,
No matter their duties.
I will love you too,
I will be watching you.
No matter your choice,
Let me hear your happy voice."

A single drop of tear fell down my eye and I stood up. "I promise."

This morning, before I began my journey, I left a note on my grandmother's grave saying I would be traveling to the mountain on my own in search for a new family. I knew my mother would want to pay her own respects for the last time.

I guess it would not be normal for such a reckless and wild child to leave home at Y/A years old. But, hey I'd rather live with someone... Something that will love me than someone who won't.

I turned around, grabbed my backpack and jumped onto the next ledge.

"Weird... This rock is covered in dust..." I whispered.

I looked to my left and I saw a large crack in the rock. I slowly walked on all fours toward it, holding my breath as if someone would hear me breathing. The edge was coated with a thick layer of dust. I looked over the edge and slowly began to make out the shape of a flower bed.

"This must be it. This is the entrance to the underground." I said, letting myself breathe again.

I opened my backpack and pulled out a rope. It wasn't nearly long enough to make it to the bottom but at least I'd be able to get down without breaking my legs. I tied the rope on a nearby rock and threw it down the crack. Then, I began to descend.

~~~(Time Skip)~~~

I landed on the flowers harshly but alive. I stood up and scouted my surroundings. As I began to walk forward to a doorway, I could faintly make out the sound of crying.

Through the door was a room, almost identical to the one I just left. Here, however, there was a larger flower that was silently bent over. I slowly walked toward it and it began to speak.

"P... Please don't hurt me..."

"I'm not going to hurt you, little guy. Are you okay? Where am I?" I replied, kneeling down in front of the flower.