Biting her lower lip, she followed the men who were pushing Salman out. As she glanced at Salman's face, terror rose in her chest. His face had hardened and he looked deathly. In the lift, she quietly stood in the corner and when they were in the underground parking, she mutely followed the men.

"I know my way." Salman said in a very calm voice as he slipped in the driving seat of his car. The engine came to life and Nawal panicked that he would leave her here. She dashed to the front passenger door and hurriedly sat beside him. He didn't acknowledge her presence. She was scared. Very scared.

Minutes passed. Streets disappeared. They drove in silence. When they were nearing their home, she hesitantly touched Salman's arm. He flinched and his jaw tightened. The muscle on his temple spasm erratically. But not once he looked at her.

She said softly, "It's not what it seems. Don't believe him."

His hands on the steering wheel tightened. And after a long moment his voice obliterated any glimmer of hope in Nawal's heart, "If you know what is good for you, you will shut up."

Her eyes widened, she swallowed the emotions that were clogging her throat. "Please just listen to me."

Braking the car at the traffic light, he abruptly turned to her. For the first time, his eyes roved at her face and then his eyes lingered on her lips. That man had been kissing her. How many stolen kisses had they shared behind his back? His eyes slid down to where her hand rested on his arm. Hands that had touched Daud intimately. Fingers that had interlaced with Daud's. He couldn't stand her.

As their eyes met, he saw the tears but he wasn't a fool anymore to fall for them or believe their sincerity.

"Don't touch me."

Her hand slowly slid away from his arm. Her pleading eyes implored him.

But he turned back to the road as he drove forward. This woman for who he was ready to move heaven and earth had betrayed him and is the cruellest way ever – falling for his archenemy. He parked the car in the front yard. He was numb. He didn't know what to do. How to react? The past six months had been a joke. All the changes in her had been farce, mocking of his gullible trust on her.

Without a backward glance, he climbed out of the car and strode in the house. Nawal scurried behind him.

"Please just listen to me once." She wept.

He skidded two steps at a time and hastily moved to their room. In all his quick strides, he nearly collided into Seema. She frowned as she saw her son's wrathful demeanour. Her eyebrows rose when she saw Nawal following him with a tear-stained face.

As he entered their room, he banged the door on Nawal's face. Clearly indicating he didn't want her there. She pursed her lips hard, quieting her sob. She twisted the door knob but it was locked. Tears leaked her eyes as she leaned her forehead against the door.

"Please please. I beg you just once listen." She kept weeping.

Seema's frown deepened. What was going on?

****

"Are you sure about this, Susan?" Amal asked once more scanning at Susan's face.

Susan was at complete peace. For the first time in ages she was content. Her eyes roamed around the large hall of the women section of the masjid. "I am" she whispered.

She had been waiting for this moment for the last two years. Her only regret had been that it had taken her such a long time to make the decision and take the final plunging step.

Amal nodded slightly and then turned to the woman clad in black abbaya and long black hijab, "Sister Khadija, this is Susan she would like to revert to Islam."