Chapter 8-The Way Home

Traffic was the beginning of my day; nothing but stop and go only fifteen minutes away from my apartment. I wanted to take the back roads, but all I saw around me officers and fireman. So I sighed hopelessly, my head lying on the steering wheel. The brighter part of my day was that it was raining, so the cool liquid made the temperature feel more relaxing than anything else. My mind meandered around the events of the hours from my past day. Then, images of the people I killed had made me wonder, what were they thinking the before they instantly died?

Of course, it was nothing for me to worry about. Those victims were already dead and there is no going back on my sins. So now, I sit here in the refreshing rain while the tow trucks come the tackle up the crashed cars.

My pager had vibrated in my cars cup holder with the blue light flashing every second along with the vibration. Without interest, I picked it up to read the message that was sent. Look out the passenger window.

Turning my head, my eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar face. It was Rose who was walking with another man. It wasn’t Dylan, but a man much younger. He looked about twenty, wearing a black trench coat with a black top hat. Curiosity caught me as I was about to honk my car’s horn at them, but then, I thought that maybe I shouldn’t catch their attention. Knowing that this crash would take a lot longer than an hour, I pulled my car into the parallel parking space before getting out and following them. The rain was chilling, but there was nothing I could do to keep me warm but keep my mind on the two.

I paged my boss telling him that there was a mysterious man with Rose. He knows not to message back because he knew I followed my targets and I like to stay hidden.

About five blocks later was an old apartment building that both Rose and the man walked into. Before the automatic locked door could shut, I slipped my way in as they headed for the stairs. The apartment seemed to have survived at least up until World War II. The time that was harsh and cruel. My boss told me his parent’s stories while I was growing up. How his grandfather was part of the air force, but didn’t make it when the Japanese Plane attacked them without notice.

Right now, I followed the two silently up the stairs until they reached the fifth floor. In room 507, Rose shut it behind her after the man walked in. The sound of the clicking lock caught my ears as I tip toed to the door. Grabbing my purse, I pulled out a blank bank card and slid it under the door. This wasn’t an ordinary card, but actually a small camera and voice recorder. I pressed the small button on my side to activate the camera and recorder.

The mechanic card was silent as it rose to try to capture the two suspects. After about ten minutes, I quickly grabbed the card after deactivating it, and left without interruption to the silence.

When I got home, I placed the card into my laptop and watched the video. Rose took the man’s jacket and top hat, placing them on a coat rack. I was finally able to recognize the man as a well-known target for one of my colleges. His name was Albert Fringe, a man of capturing and killing Russian civilians before moving to America. When he came here, he had imported illegal dynamite and drugs to give to the Russian ambassador that had visited America. My boss hired my college James Redburg, who died in a gun fight with Albert. This was two years ago, and ever since then, he has been a very high priority.

Watching more of the video, Rose had given him a yellow envelope. He pulled out some cards, looking like pictures. After the video was finished, I emailed it to my boss who emailed back half an hour later with a thank you.