XXIV

"Miss?" I hear a familiar voice shaking me awake. "Are you awake?"

"M-Mira?" I murmur, groggy and tired. It's before dawn and I'm surprised Mira's up and already getting me up.

"I-I'm sorry miss," she says, placing her hands in front of her body meekly. "As of the High Priest's orders, Sir Garroth Ro'meave will be in command of the current Jury of Nine until his brother returns."

Garroth Ro'meave. I only met him once, during Trial Four. The oldest of the Ro'meave siblings, who has dusty blond hair that falls lightly across his face, and piercing blue eyes. I never talked to him, nor wanted to. I suppose he'd be just like Zane.

"Okay," I say, drowsily. I grab my armor and stagger into the bathroom. "Mira..."

"Yes, miss?"

"Did the Jurors scheduled to leave with Zane to Tu'la leave already?"

Mira nods. "Yes, why?"

A needle through my heart. I didn't even say good bye to Jasper. "N-no reason." Dammit. I have to stay alert for Ivy. Now that Zane's gone, all hell will break loose.

"Well," Mira begins. "Is there anything I need to do?"

"Uhh." I glance at my armor. "Nothing really. Can you go get me some pancakes from the tavern at the end of the road?" I place a wad of cash in her hand.

"Oh. Sure."

"Thanks."

The door closes behind her, and I lock it securely. Ivy's out there, she won't rest until she sees her scythe through my body.

I messily put my armor on, adjusting the purple Jury of Nine symbol. Then I hear a knock on the door.

My heart beats fast. Grabbing my bow, loading it with and arrow, drawing back the string, I open the door and peek out.

Of course. It's Chester.

"Lady Cassie?" Chester asks when he sees me peeking through the door like a paranoid kid.

"Oh! I, uh..." I drop the bow, loosening the string. "G-good morning."

Chester gives a forced smile. "And to you. Here, m'lady. 'Tis a scroll requesting the assistance of a Juror and only a Juror. No guards or anything. You were the only Juror left in this house that hadn't run off to do whatever. Here's the information." He hands me a yellowed scroll.

I roll it up and clutch it in my hand. "Thank you. I suppose I've nothing better to do now that Za--the High Priest is gone."

"Do as you must. I'll assume you're there once you're gone. Or dead."

I gulp. "Okay."
««»»
I unravel (A/n: oshiete oshiete yo~ *hide no* ;-;) the used parchment in my hand and skim through the messy cursive, reading it aloud.

"Small village... out east... political chaos... weak lord... mm, what's this village called?" I murmur to myself, my eyes darting across the page. "Phoenix Drop."

YES I AM STILL ALIVE! Sorry this chapter took forever with it being to short, ya know? Anyways, my plans are big for Cassie's arrival and interactions with the canon characters of Phoenix Drop (keep in mind these events are taking place much before Aphmau, Laurance, and Garroth [well duh, Garroth's still in O'khasis]). Hope you enjoy!

*just a hint, Zenix has a big role in the next few chapters!*

xxx,
vylad