XXII

The six-hour ride back to O'khasis is completely eventless. I try to distract myself with various tasks, such as sketching, but I've got no artistic talent, so that ended up being useless. Even meaningless chat with Azlynn renders pointless. My mind wanders back to Jasper and my dream-hell.

What was he doing with that woman?

Was Cadenza real, or just a figment of my imagination? I was unconscious. But it she was so realistic...

No. Jasper couldn't have fallen in love with her. I won't believe it.

"Cassie?" Azlynn asks, still neglecting formalities as usual. She pulls her horse closer to the side of the caravan. "Something wrong?"

I shake my head and glance at the moving dirt road beneath the wheels. "Nothing's wrong, I promise."

"Is it Jasper?" Azlynn asks in a monotone.

"W-what?" I exclaim. My face is turning bright red, and she smirks because she notices. "No!"

"Yeah, you're thinking about senpai alright."

"S-senpai? Who? What..."
(For those who don't know, a senpai is someone who you'd like to notice you, or someone you deeply admire, like a crush.)

"Hehe~, Jasper, right? He's your senpai?" Azlynn says.

"No he's not!" I protest. "I don't have a senpai, Azlynn."

"Yeah you do!" Azlynn makes lovey eyes. "Oh Jasper~Senpai, please notice me!"

"It's not like that at all. It's mutual."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Do I have to talk about my love life now? I'd prefer not."

Azlynn sighs. "You know I'd always want to hear you talk about your failed romances, but if you don't want to, I won't force you."

"Thanks." I begin to close the caravan curtain, sealing me off from the outside world, but then I catch a glimpse of Matthew.

He looks the saddest I've ever seen him look.

Maybe he overheard Azlynn talking to me about senpais and Jasper. He did confess to me recently, so hearing me talk about another guy, not to mention a Jury of Nine member, must have mad him a little jealous. I hope he doesn't start to... hate Jasper. I'd rather not introduce them, because they'd likely clash.
««»»
"Lady Cassie," I hear a guard, I'm guessing Isaiah, say from outside. "We're here."

Groggy and tired, I realize I fell into a dreamless sleep as I open my eyes.

Isaiah pulls the curtain and helps me down.

"Has, uh, Jasper the Silent Dagger arrived yet?" I ask once fully adjusted to my surroundings.

Isaiah visibly makes eye contact with Matthew, who quickly averts his gaze.

"We don't know," says the guard. "We've yet to see any Jury of Nine members."

"I see." I can't lose hope. Yet. Jasper's got to be alive. I have a one-in-nine chance he's dead. And I hope the fates are smiling on me today.

"Welcome back, Lady Cassie the Angel Arrow."

I whirl around to the High Priest Zane accompanied by three guards.

"Thank you, sire," I say, giving him a feminine bow.

"I received word you were able to successfully complete your mission making Falconclaw an O'khasian-occupied land."

Suddenly, I remember to promise I made to Lord Aaron those months ago when I first arrived.

I promised I'd do everything in my power to make Falconclaw a free village again.

"Forgive me, uh, your grace, but I cannot allow you to continue to assign Jurors there."

Zane crosses his arms and glares at me. "And why is that?"

"Because, uh, the people there are completely lawless," I say, my stomach turning at whether he'll believe my lie or not. "The lord is so corrupted. The people are rebelling left and right. It's extremely unsafe for any good O'khasian."

"Mmhm," Zane remarks. "And how were you able to assume power?"

I inhale deeply. "I kept my guards away from the dangerous scenes, for their own protection. We stayed mostly on the outskirts."

"I see," Zane says, unimpressed. "Dismissed."

"Wait!" I say. "Sire!"

"What is it?" Zane asks in a monotone.

"Um, the messenger said one Jury member died. Do I have permission to, uh, know?"

Zane's eyes dance with silent laughter. "You'll simply see, my dear. You will see." He leaves with his guards.

"C-Cassie?" That voice. I've heard it many times, but not seen its owner since three months ago.

"Jasper!" I exclaim, before even seeing who it is. I already know.

He rushes toward me and gives me a hug. "I thought you died!" He brushes some hair out of my face with his hand. "Good Irene, I really did."

I touch his hand. "I thought you were dead too."

He presses his lips on my hair. "I'm right here."

"I know. I missed you so m—" Just then, images of the ombre-haired girl, Cadenza, from my dream flash through my mind. "Cadenza."

Jasper's eyes harden. "How do you know about her?"

"You... and her... kissed..."

"Kissed?!" Jasper asks, disgusted. "She hates me! I don't know what you heard, but for all I know, she wants me dead!"

"What? But you..."

"I'd never think of kissing that witch," Jasper states. "She's the pretty-pretty-princess daughter of the lord, and a total weirdo. She's so... dainty. It's kind of funny honestly. But how did you know about..."

"I passed out," I say. "I had a really realistic dream and she was in it. You were holding her hand and kissed her in front of me. It was—"

Jasper cuts me off as he presses his lips to mine.

I swear, I can feel Matthew watching us as we kiss.

Hehe~ CLIFFHANGERS (KIND OF). Late update, again, sorry. Go read basicleaf 's fanfic, it's actually completely free of typos, unlike mine.

Anyone like Seraph of the End/Owari no Seraph? I started reading the manga online and it's pretty lit af. #mikayuutrash

xxx,
vylad