chapter twenty one

"What's wrong?" Jooheon asked, his words laced with worry as he stared at the younger rapper. His eyebrows furrowed as he tried to read the emotions behind Changkyun's eyes.

I'm not good enough.

I can't dance as well as Shownu or Hyungwon.

I can't even rap properly.

I'm ugly as fuck.

I'm not good enough.

Just, not good enough.

He desperately wanted to answer honestly, but for some reason, he didn't. He didn't want to burden Jooheon or any of the members anymore. And so he just smiled weakly. "It's nothing."

They were going through the song alone in the studio for the third time, when Changkyun just spaced out suddenly. 

Jooheon frowned. "You know, you can tell me anything."

Changkyun shook his head. "It's really nothing." 

The smile he forced upon his face seem to take so much energy - he felt tired. Really, really tired.

I'm not good enough.

"Okay, but I just want you to know that your rap is actually quite good, okay? I was...just moody and unreasonable the other day."

He's lying, I'm not good enough.

"Seriously, don't take my words to heart, I was being really mean the other day, Changkyun ah."

I'm not good enough.

"I...I need to take a break for a moment. Sorry." Changkyun quickly excused himself out of the confined room, shielding the elder rapper from the single tear slipping down his cheeks.

I'm not good enough.

Jooheon stared after the younger, contemplating whether he should follow after the younger.

Instead, he sat back down into the seat and started practicing himself, while waiting for the maknae to come back.

He never did.

-

I'm not good enough.

Changkyun raced down the corridor, barely catching his breath as he stumbled into a familiar male.