chapter twelve

Kihyun was wondering what he could cook with the frozen beef in his hands when he heard a shut of the door, followed by a clicking sound. He paused, pondering over if he should check who had entered. He was about to put the meat back into the shelf when he heard someone gasping for air. 

Really violently.

Glancing towards the source of the sound uneasily, he placed the meat back to its original position just as the heavy breathing became even more rapid. Walking briskly to the door, he halted at the sight before him. 

Changkyun sat against the door, wheezing. 

To say Kihyun knew what to do, would be a huge lie.

Taking timid steps towards the rapper, he stared at the shivering body on the floor. "Changkyun?"

He braced himself as he watched Changkyun slowly lift up his head to look at him in the eyes. It was a small action, and yet Kihyun felt himself melting a little at the cute scene before him. But it was short-lived.

The vocalist noticed the emptiness behind those brown orbs.

Changkyun looked away almost instantly, his hands wrapped around himself, as if he was shielding himself from Kihyun. His action stung Kihyun a bit.

"Why are you here?" Kihyun tried to ask, before berating himself. Does he look like he could answer your question? Kihyun shook his head, before squatting down beside the younger. 

"Changkyun, try taking in large breathes and slowly breathe it out, through your mouth." The vocalist tried to imitate what the Nu'bility member had done the other day.

Aware that it wasn't working, Kihyun wrapped his arms around the younger, and felt the younger tensing up even more. Ignoring that, he told himself, Jeongwook could do it that day, you could too. Except there was no bed around for Changkyun to lie down, and the cold floor was not an option either, so Kihyun opted for the next best solution. His deadly weapon.

His voice. 

Kihyun started singing a soft, acoustic version of the debut track, hoping it would calm Changkyun down.

And it worked.

As the seconds passed, Kihyun could feel the tension in Changkyun's body evaporate away and he continued to sing, trying hard not to mess up, until Changkyun's breathing gradually steadied itself. While the melody of lyrics flowed out of the older's mouth, he subconsciously took in every feature of Changkyun. It was only then did he realize that the younger wasn't as ugly as what the others had said. He even looked better than decent, Kihyun thought. As the song finished, he lifted Changkyun's head. "Are you feeling better?"

Changkyun nodded, but Kihyun noticed how he shivered for a fraction of a second. Without a moment's hesitation, he slipped off his own jacket and covered Changkyun's body with it.