*15*

Amy's POV

"You're not a monster," I cried after twenty minutes of nothing but the image of Nik dying before me. "You're not..."

From the moment I saw him wince on stage, I knew something was wrong with Nik. But then and now are two different things.

"What's the point of living a curse you can't break?"

His voice still rang out in my mind.

"Yes you can," I said, meaning to think it instead. "You can break the curse, just...just stay with me...please, Nik."

I was tugging and pulling at his black fur as I shook him. I was also crying, but before the tears fell, I'd wipe them. I threw myself into a hug around his collarbone. I'd stay with him no matter if he was dead or alive.

"I'm not leaving you, Nik," I said between clenched teeth. "I don't care if you die as a teenage boy that teases me in the way I can't help but love; or a...creature that you can't help but see the beauty in; I will not leave you..."

A single tear fell into his furry coat and I hugged him once more before kissing his face, by his muzzle. I scooted away to the couch and sat against it, crying behind my locks of hair that fell into my face now.

This was my fault. All of it. I shouldn't have ever avoided him—especially when he gave me freedom. I could've been his escape to the curse, but it killed him in the meantime. I stood up, uneasy, and looked down at the broken glass on the wooden floor.

To take a life, rather be to take your own...

I picked up the glass and held it up to myself, breathing heavily in my mother's dress.

The heir to the throne shall revolve at sunset, on the brink of night.

Doves of love will take flight.

But if you miss your opportunity, it shall be the death of the spawn of a tree...

The old hag's words from long ago made sense now. I just wish I could've seen the beautiful plant die as it was about to take two lives, rather than one.

"Don't," I heard a voice say right as the blade touched my skin. I looked over my shoulder to see Nik appear, now standing above me in torn clothes from his...transformation. I wiped my eyes to make sure I was seeing right and then all it took was him kneeling down and I slammed into a hug with him.

"I don't understand," I whispered in his shoulder with my face buried.

"Neither do I..." he said, confused. He pulled at my waist to release me. I gulped as I stared at his face. He brushed back my hair. "All I know, is that I never want to die again."

I managed to force a smile, which led to brief laughing that matched his. But then his face got serious as his eyes searched mine.

"I can honestly say, I don't want that either," I said like an idiot.

"Mmh," he hummed. I awkwardly climbed off of him and wiped whatever remaining tears I had to spare embarrassment.

"I guess you should get cleaned up to get back to the party," I figured, nodding. He nodded as well.

"I'm hoping there's an extra suit around here," he said.

"Well, good luck," I said, turning around to leave.

I'm so stupid. I should've thanked him and confessed that I was secretly in love with him from the first time we met.

"Thanks," he muttered. I looked over my shoulder.