Chapter 3

Alan's POV

"Alan wake up!"
"Ally please!" Someone cried.
"Momma's coughing and she can't stop."
"Ally!"
I was being shook violently. Finally I opened my eyes and was met with two frantic sets of eyes that belonged to my younger brothers.
"Hey what about Momma?" I said tiredly.
"She can't stop coughing." Cole said as he held Mason. I paid attention to the  noises in the background and sprang form the couch.

I opened the door to her room and she was coughing violently. I sat her up and patted her back and kept her head out of the pillows so she could breathe. Cole and Mason stood at the doorway. Both worried, Mason more than Cole. Cole was Mason's protector of sorts. He always took care of him and made sure he was comfortable, especially since Mason was more emotional than himself.
"Cole you and Mason go get Momma some water." He nodded and led Mason out of the room.

Momma looked at me as she caught her breath.
"I'm sorry I woke you sweetie." She said.
"Don't worry about it." I said and once the boys came back with the water I handed it to her and she drank a couple sips.

Cole helped Mason on the bed then climbed on himself. They laid beside of her and she stared down at them lovingly.
"My boys." She said and looked at all of us. She scooted over slightly and patted the spot beside her. I laughed and laid down. She kissed the top of my head and in a soft voice she sang the same song her and my dad used to sing when I was younger.
"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know dear how much I love you. So please don't take my sunshine away."

"I wish dad was here to sing it with you Momma. You two sounded so pretty together." Mason mumbled as he closed his eyes.
"I know baby." She said and held the twins close. All of us looked so much like our dad and it reminded her of him a lot.

I was around fifteen when he left and the twins had just turned five. He was trying to leave without us knowing, but I had snuck out that night and when he opened the front door I was just trying to unlock it. I thought he was going to get mad but instead he told me he would always love me and the twins, and none of this was our fault and With that he walked past me and to his car. He got in and drove away. That was the last time I saw him.
Cole and Mason remember him some, mostly him and mom singing. Whenever they really miss him the three of us watch some videos I found of them.

I fell asleep as she sang to us and slept the best I had in a while.

Austin's POV

"Austin!...Austin.....Austin Robert Carlile get up this instant!" I finally rolled over.
"Yea dad?" I yawned and got up to open the door to my room. My dad was standing there in a suit, phone in one hand typing furiously. I leaned my arm against the doorframe.
"We have a dinner tonight."
"Do I have to go?"
"Yes Austin. Don't fight me on this." He said pointing his finger at me.
"Dad I'm 19. I'll be twenty in like a day."
"Austin in know this but my-"
"Image I know dad. I'll be there. Black tie?" I said and sighed. It was always about image to him.
"Formal Casual. Look nice I have someone for you to meet." He said and smiled at me.

"A girl?"
"Yes Austin a girl." I groaned and literally wanted to hit something.
"Dad I am not attracted to girls!"
"It's a phase." He said and waved the subject off and walked down the stairs.
"I've been this way since I was thirteen!" I shouted down the stairs and then slammed my door shut. He can't get it through his thick skull that I do not like females.

I decided to just lay down till it was time for me to get ready. Tonight was more than likely going to be miserable.

~

I pulled on the white button up shirt and left the sleeves down, dad would throw a for if they were rolled up. I slipped on a pair of skinny jeans, a black tie, and my vans. I went downstairs and saw our housekeeper.

"Megan!" I said.
"Hey Austin." She was a woman of around 55 and had been here since I was born. After my mom died she sorta became my mother figure and I loved her to death.
"Can I like fake being sick?"
"Now now let's not do that. It'll be over before you know it." He said and patted my cheek. "Now go on your father is already in the car." She fixed my tie and sent me on my way. I said a quick bye before walking out the front door and stepping into the car.

"Now we can go." He said to the driver not talking his eyes off his phone. Neither one of us spoke whole ride there. I sat in silence and hummed along to an imaginary song. The car stopped and I sighed gratefully.
"Now remember to be on your best behavior Austin."
"Dad I've never been a problem have I?" I said getting mad. I always acted how he wanted around these people. Sure I hated it but what else could I do. "Dad I you seem to forget that I'm not twelve anymore."
"No you've always acted much better than most of my coworkers brats do. I'll take credit for that." He said smugly. "I know your almost twenty Austin. You've made that point clear. But these people need to see I'm a family man and get used to you, so you can take over one day." I didn't say a word.

I just walked a couple steps behind him and when we entered the way to big house we was immediately greeted by a high pitched voice.
"Ohh Robert I'm glad you could make it!" She said. She was wearing the ugliest purple dress I had ever seen and had on way to much perfume. She pulled my dad into a hug and then came over to me.
"Austin you've gotten so big." She gave me a light pat on the shoulder, before motioning someone over.

"This is my daughter Lilly. Lilly this is Austin." The girl looked at me with her blue eyes. She had short black hair and tan skin. Her eyes were lined in navy eyeliner that matched the color of her dress. Her lips were small and adorned a light nude gloss. She stretched out her hand and I shook it lightly.
"Nice to meet you." I said and shot my dad a glare, he just smirked.
"Austin you and Lilly go talk somewhere while me and Meredith go find Joe." I nodded and walked away to a corner, not caring if Lilly followed me or not.