Chapter 17: A Plot Twist

~A few days ago~

"Sparkle, are you sure?" Twilight asked.

Sparkle nodded her head.

"It's the only way to save the kingdom."

"But what if one of you doesn't make make it?" Twilight asked, trying to persuade Sparkle to change her mind.

"Then the other will rule, or I leave the kingdom to you until Star Shadow is old enough to rule." Sparkle said, determined.

Twilight sighed in defeat. She walked over to the table and nodded at Sparkle. Together, they preformed a great spell on a blank sheet of paper, then quickly folded it and teleported it away. Twilight shook her head.

Suddenly, they heard loud screaming and pounding downstairs in Samuel's room. They quickly ran down and saw Cosmus, Midnight Shimmer, and Samuel locked in battle. The plan was working.

They fought and fought, the battle was epic. Soon though, Samuel fell out of a hole in the wall as he fought, leaving a nasty wound and him bleeding out on the ground. Cosmus and Midnight Shimmer were backing away slowly.

"Twi, stop them please." Sparkle calmly said as she flew down.

She landed next to Sam's body as he was blacking out. She stroked his cheek with her wing.

"Do not worry, my love. Everything will be ok." She cooed, and he lost consciousness.

Sparkle used a healing spell, but left him in a deep sleep. Then, the other elements appeared, and they carried him away.

She turned to Cosmus and Midnight Shimmer, who were struggling against Twilight's magic.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. I do not wish to hurt you, only talk, but I will if I must." Sparkle said as she proudly walked over to them.

They stopped struggling. It seemed like EVERYPONY was a bit tired of the violence.

"I have a proposal. I know what you want Cosmus, and you know that you cannot get it with the Princess of Light standing in your path. So, let's make it easy. Release your grip on my beloved, and I will join you." Sparkle said.

Twilight gasped.

"You're kidding right?! I helped you, just so you could join their side?!" Twilight said, as Sparkle used a spell to transport her away, releasing the two, now interested, ponies.

"And why should we trust that this isn't a trick?" Midnight Shimmer asked, know Sparkle better than anypony else.

"Because, as you know, I would do anything to save my Samuel." Sparkle said.

Midnight Shimmer nodded.

"I do know that. I also know that if you join us, there is no way to get the only thing you've ever really wanted in your life." Midnight said.

"And the pain of the decision will be with me every day. But, it is the only way to save him."

"Fine. Your 'special pony' is free. Now, come with me." Cosmus said as he waved his horn, releasing Samuel.

He then spread his wings and flew away, quickly followed by Midnight Shimmer. Sparkle glanced back at the castle, a tear sliding down her cheek. Then, she spread her wings and followed Cosmus.

~The present~

Twilight paced beside Samuel's bed. She hadn't left since Sparkle joined Cosmus, and she wasn't going to until he was awake.

"Twi....?" She heard the faint voice next to her.

"W-where is Sh-Shimmer?" Samuel mumbled as he tried to sit up and look around.

Twilight laid him back down with her magic. She saw the pain in his eyes when he saw that she wasn't there.

"Samuel, Sparkle has joined Cosmus. To save you." Twilight said.

"What?! Joined Cosmus?! Does she realize that he will KILL HER?!?!" Samuel exclaimed as he tried to sit up again.

Twilight calmly laid him down again. She sighed with great sadness.

"Yes, I know she does. We've been searching for days and haven't been able to locate her. I'm sorry Samuel. She's gone."

~Princess Sparkle Shimmer