THE HIDDEN ROOM

You tap your finger on your chin, intrigued by the secret room behind the closet. You always read or heard about secret rooms in mansions. You find it interesting to be in one.

You study the faded, yellowing walls and wrap your knuckles against it.

Hollow.

Curiosity bubbles inside of you as you wonder if there's another hidden room. You think you're safe in there.

You think.

Grabbing the already worn wallpaper, you use what strength you have to rip it out of the wall.

All of a sudden, you feel something grabbing you. It wraps its fingers around your neck and you cry out in fear as something comes crashing down.

Gasping, you close your eyes, thinking it's the end. Dust settles down and you finally have the courage to see who--what--attacked you.

Opening one eye, you grab your flashlight and shine at the attacker. At first, you see something shine back at you. You squint in confusion and take a look at the brown thing on your chest.

When you realize what it is, you scramble away and jump up with a yelp. A rotting skeleton rattles on the ground.

You cringe at the smell and take a look at the skeleton. You see that the bones are brown and bits of cobwebs cover the holes.

You can't help it. You lean down for a better look.

You observe its features, wondering how it had gotten in. You chuckle when you realize that this is a literal skeleton in the closet.

But it quickly subsides as you realize that you may well end up just like it.

You shake your head and slowly get up. Your shirt gets caught on something, stopping you from straightening. You tug at the hem, but it's stuck.

"What the...?" You pull but nothing happens. Your heart beats faster and you shine the light down. Your mouth opens to scream, but not a sound escapes.

You stare in horror as you see the skeletons fingers gripping tightly on your shirt. Its head is turned up, its sockets staring right at you.

Rattle rattle.

You are frozen when the skeleton gets up, still holding onto your shirt. Its body is unstable and it sways to balance itself.

With a sudden jerk, you find yourself face to face with the skull. You stare deep into its sockets before you finally push it away and stumble back.

It throws back its head and opens its mouth. An inhuman shriek escapes through its bones and you desperately try to block out the sound.

You turn around and bang on the closed door. You need to get out of there.

You pound on the door, but it's locked. You ram it with your shoulders, the weak hinges squeaking in protest. Your shoulder still hurts, but you have to get out of there.

Boom! Boom! CRRAAAACCCKKKK!!!

You grunt as you land on the floor on the other side. You glance back to see...

And empty closet. No hidden door. No skeleton. Just old plywood coated thick with dust. Not even the debris from the shattered door was visible.

Are you going mad?

But then again, who wouldn't?

You shudder and stand up. You realize you didn't exit through the closet you originally entered. You fine yourself in another bathroom.
_________________________________

Another very late update. I haven't updated in a while. So sorry.

Anyway, did you like it? I hope I'm not getting too rusty. Tell me if it was creepy since most of what I wrote was about how things would creep me out. XD

Thanks for reading!
Happy Halloween, by the way, even though it's two days late. xD