Forgive My Fins (AU)

Magsimula sa umpisa

Lauren was still ranting, but James isn't really listening. He gave Lauren a quick hug and 'Sorry' and then ran off, escaping from his sister's wrath.

It's always entertaining to watch these two. Not because I want to see my best friend tormented but because it's all just good fun for the two of them. They're quite close, and I'm a bit envious since I don't have any siblings or cousins.

"Ugh!" Lauren let out in frustration and heaved a deep breath.

"He'll drive me insane." She said in exasperation, now a lot more calmer. "And he's here only because he wants attention."

I looked at her in question. I didn't understand what she meant.

"Well, believe it or not, we got on okay when, we'll when it's just us. And I mean civil and all." She said. I raised my brows at her. All these years I've been with them, I've only seen them at each other's throat. Well, Lauren raging at James and James laughing indifferently.

"He's very nice actually," She continued to say. "what he's doing is mostly... well, for show. I don't really understand his logic." Lauren's voice was becoming softer, as if she's talking more to herself than to me. "I mean how can a girl starts-- keeps doing his stunts around her. Well, knowing him---just be nerves. ---been awkward around girls. I expect he doesn't know how to act in front of---"

I heard her mumbled and I couldn't really understand. I looked at her as she trailed off. I knew something was wrong when I saw her face ashen in shock.

I turned around to see that there was a portugese-man-of-war just some feet away from us. I instantly took hold of her hand and swam desperately away from it, leaving the life buoy. I knew about Lauren's trauma of man-of-war. When she was little, she was stung and was paralyzed, and she almost drowned. It was a good thing her trauma didn't extend to trauma of the ocean.

Even before I reached the shore, James--who seems to have spotted what happened--was already there and he pulled both me and Lauren out of the sea, looking almost as white as Lauren. It was the first time I saw him like this. There was real panic in his face. As we near the shore, I transfigure my tail back into legs but left finkini shorts (made out of blue scales since my tail is azure blue) cause I left my shorts and undies on land and went in the with the same finkini shorts. (I can't transfigure with my shorts on. Go figure.)

"Are you okay??" He asked, looking at Lauren and then at me.

"It didn't sting us." I said. "But..." I trailed off as I turn to look at Lauren.

I moved closer to Lauren and hugged her, trying to reassure her. "I'm sorry..." I said. Lauren just silently shook her head.

"It's hardly your fault." James said, giving me a small smile. "But, I suggest you just swim in the pool rather than here in the sea." He said.

"Bret, Henz, Jude! Let's go to the pool instead!" He called to his friends who were still in the beach.

"Come on." He turned to us and slung an arm around me and Lauren, leading us both to the pool. "There won't be any fish there."

Yeah, except me. Well, at least half a fish. I'm only half mermaid. My dad is a merman but my mom is human.

James led us by the bleachers where Lauren had flopped down, looking a bit tired. I sat besides her.

With only a nod at us, James had turned back and returned to his friends, who were now in the pool.

Lauren and I just stayed by the bleachers because, as Lauren already knew, chlorine can be toxic to merpeople. I can tolerate to stay by the pool but to actually swim in the pool...