The Chemistry of Love (AU)

AN:
- coz i'm nerdy and i really want James to have a nerdy role. lol

----

Nadine's POV

"I think I'm in love." I said with a sigh as I sat down the stairs of Reid's front porch right besides James.

"Hello, Naddie." James said, eyes never leaving the book he was reading. James and I have been friends ever since I can remember, since we practically grew up together. He's literally my next door neighbor. We always hang out here on their lanai.

"Hi, Jamesie." I said, grinning. "And hello there, Esmeralda." I cooed as I turn to the cat lying behind James's back.

We were quiet for a while as I pet Esmeralda and as James flipped another page of his book.

Then, I felt him look at me sideways. I looked back at him, asking silently, 'What?'

"You know..." He started, closing his book. "Love is all just chemistry."

I blinked. "Huh?"

James... It's not that he's weird... well, okay, maybe he is a little bit weird, but in the end it's just because he knows so many things and he tells them randomly, just like what he is doing now. I'm kinda used to it, but sometimes I'm still taken by surprised.

"Love." He said, also used to my one-syllable reactions. "It's all just chemistry. It's just the body reacting to hormones."

"Oh..." I said, remembering what I told him earlier.

"Who do you think you're in love with?" He suddenly asked and I laughed.

"Actually, I was just happy with Jonas Blue's new song. I meant I think I'm in love with the song. But never mind that now. Continue what you were saying. It's surprisingly interesting especially coming from you." I teased.

He playfully glared at me, looking a little embarrassed. And he opened his book to continue reading and maybe just ignore me.

"Come on," I bumped my shoulder with his. "What were you saying?"

He sighed, giving in. Seriously, he just can't resist explaining everything. "Well, you know when two people have that 'spark' and they say they have chemistry?"

I nodded. He turned back to his book but continued talking.

"It's actually literally true." He said. "When human beings are attracted to one another, it sets off quite a chain reaction in the body and brain. The most well-known love-related chemical is PEA--"

"Peya?" I couldn't help but ask.

He shook his head and said. "PEA. P-E-A, it stands for phenyleth---"

"Never mind." I cut him off, chuckling a bit. "You were saying?"

He shrugged and continued. "This natural chemical release dopamine. And dopamine stimulates the production of oxytocin or 'the cuddle chemical.'"

"So when there's PEA, you'd want to cuddle?" I asked, ignoring all the other medical terms.

"Something like that." He nodded. His voice was starting to become softer and softer. I think he's distracted with his book. I don't really know how his mind work but it seems to have a multitasking feature since he just flipped a page. "It gives you a feeling of attachment. It contributes to that warm, comfortable feeling you get from being with a longtime partner. It gives that kick-up-your-heels, on-top-of-the-world feeling. These chemicals go to the brain's limbic system. That's what commands the body to do all that 'in love' symptoms. The cortex on the other hand is what keeps our rationality going even if all that PEA makes us a bit stupid."

I moved closer to him so I could hear his explanation, now said in mutters.

"Norepinephrine, another neurochemical--" He continued to say. "--stimulates the production of adrenaline and makes your blood pressure soar when near the person you're attracted to--" He finally looked at me and his voice trailed off.

He was looking at me with wide eyes.

I raised a brow at him. He seems more distracted now. But he wasn't looking away from me.

"That's why... you... you might experience a pounding heart--" He gulped. "--or sweaty palms when you see someone you've got the hots for." He said, sounding a bit dazed and looking a little nervous.

"It's what's behind the jumpy stomach... thumping heart... nnervous jitters..." He continued to say slowly, never looking away from me.

And I realized just how close our faces are. I could feel my face grew hot, but I can't seem to move back. And my heart feels like it wants to force its way out of my ribcage.

"But it can't all be chemicals." I tried to say. "Relationships take work. They just do. And if it's all chemicals, people wouldn't get tired of each other or they wouldn't 'cool off' and always be on their honeymoon stage." I barely understood what I was saying.

"They said that happens it's because their bodies get immune to the chemicals..." He said in a whisper.

"But still." I said, also in a whisper.

"Ah... I guess so." He said, blinking, but still looking dazed.

"Are you okay?" I asked in a small voice.

"My limbic system and my cortex is making me confused right now." He told me.

I couldn't understand. "Huh?" I asked, feeling dazed as well.

"Ugh, the hell with my cortex." He said as he and pulled me in and kissed me.

END

AN:
"Ugh, the hell with my cortex" in layman's term is "The hell with logic." :)) so nerdy!James wants to kiss Naddie but was hesitating because it's not a logical thing to do.