Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve (Narnia AU)

Nadine's POV

I didn't know why, but I feel so unsettled today. It was silly. I am finally crowned as Queen of Narnia. I should not have any more misgivings.

I walk around the palace and realize after a while that I am looking for the High King. I have only seen the High King once earlier, walking down the courtyard with Aslan.

"You're look lovely today, Queen Nadine." Someone said. I turned around and found out that it was the Queen Chantal.

"Thank you." I said. "You look beautiful as well, your majesty." I told her sincerely. The Queen smiled at me.

"High King James have not come back." She said after a while. I looked at her in surprised and she smiled understandingly. Am I that easy to read?

I gave her a curt nod. She smiled and took hold of my hand. I had thought she would be saying something again, but I was wrong. It seems she held my hand just because she wants to. I had to smile at that.

After a while, King Jack along with Button, the swashbacking mouse and Karasu, the badger.

"High King James and High Queen Lauren's attendance with Aslan has ended." He said, and surely as Queen Chantal and I looked, High King James, High Queen Lauren and Aslan were making there way back to the great hall.

There must have been something wrong. High King James was frowning, but he smiled when he saw us waiting for them.

"It is time." Aslan suddenly said and I heard Queen Chantal gasped. I didn't understand what Aslan meant. This seems to reflect on my face because King Jack offered an explanation.

"Aslan meant we need to go back now, to our own world." He said, smiling sadly at me.

I didn't know what to think. I knew they had not originated from Narnia, I after all, called them by the horn. But it never crossed my head that they needed to go back to their own world.

I felt Queen Chantal squeeze my hand.

"I..." I started. I knew I had to say something. But before I could say anything, High King James made his way to me and took his sword from his back. Without a word, he handed it to me.

He smiled as I took it with both my hands. "It is now your duty to protect Narnia." He said.

"I will look after it until your return." I vowed, giving the High King a low bow.

He frowned, looking at me straight in the eye.

"I'm afraid that's just it." He said, softly. "I'm not coming back." He said.

"We're not?" Queen Chantal had asked, looking at the High King as if about to cry.

The High King gave her a reassuring smile. "You two are." He said, looking at Queen Chantal and King Jack.

At this, Queen Chantal turned to Aslan, looking somewhat desperate.

"But why?" She asked. "Did they do something wrong?"

"No." Aslan answered her. "Your brother and sister learned much in this world, but have grown older, and it is time that they begin coming closer to their own." The great lion said.

"It's okay, Chantal." High Queen Lauren said. "I never thought I'd say this, but it's not all bad. You'll understand, once it's your time." He said, smiling at her.

He offered a hand to her and she took it, letting go of mine. I didn't know why I had the urge of taking hold of it once more but I resisted.

I watched as the four of them said their goodbyes to Button, Karasu, and all the other Narnians who was with us during our last battle. Queen Chantal seemed to find it particularly difficult to say goodbye to Button.

Aslan had then let out a growl, and from the tree something like a door came about.

I saw the High King let a out a deep sigh. "We have to go now." He said.

With that, Queen Chantal had turned to me, her tears flowing freely now.

She hugged me and told me how much she will miss me and to take care of myself and of Narnia.

I could only offer her a hug back. I knew I too, will miss her dearly.

We broke apart and King Jack started to make his way towards the door. Queen Chantal, High Queen Lauren and High King James made to follow him.

"High King James..." I called.

He turned to me with his sad smile. "Yes, Queen Nadine?"

"I... I wish we had more time together..." I said softly. I knew I would not have any other chance. I couldn't look at him though, so I just looked at the floor. "I knew it would have never work but--"

"I have to agree." He said. I finally looked at him. He was smiling more broadly now, but there was still sadness in his eyes.

"Well, I am after all, thirteen hundred years older than you." He said with a chuckle.

I couldn't help but smile slightly.

He turned back again. And thoughts flew through my head in an instant. Memories of us together, in the woods, practicing archery or simply watching the stars.

"James..." I surprise even myself at my daring. He looked surprised too, but pleased at the same time. And trying not to think about it, I rushed to him and kissed him.

He wasn't expecting it, but after a while he relaxed and he actually kissed me back.

After a while, he finally released me. And after one last look between us, the three of them had held hands and walked through the door.

END

-----

AN:

-so, not an original, but a scene from the second movie. :) [this never happened in the book. In the book, Caspian is Edmund's age and he and Susan never had any relationship aside from being allies during the war and being royalties of narnia. /shot.]