Fins Are Forever (AU) 3

warning: word vomit

---

They went to town first as they couldn't find James's car anywhere near the beach. Then they rode a bus going to the city where James lives. James was surprised to find out Nadine has never been to the city.

It was already afternoon when they arrived at James's home.

When they reached the front door, James stopped and turned to Nadine.

"My family... Well, they probably were worried so they might go crazy when they see me..." He warned Nadine.

Nadine nodded. "That's understandable."

James smiled. "Well, let's go."

James opened the door and stepped inside, Nadine followed close.

"Dad? Lauren?" He called out, walking forward.

Nadine heard a loud thunk, as if something was dropped and then someone was suddenly screaming.

Nadine registered there was a girl by the stairs and she watched as she runs towards them and crashed into James, being very hysterical.

"You're alive! Oh my God! DAD!!!! IT'S JAMES!!! HE'S HOME!!!"

There was another sound from one of the many doors in the hall and an older man--presumably James's dad, had take one look at the scene in front of them and also hurried towards them.

It took a while of James's family fuzzing over him and James trying to talk before they calmed down, with Nadine awkwardly standing by them.

When the girl--James called her Lauren, finally stopped crying, James seemingly unconsciously reached out to Nadine and pulled her closer to him, all the while sighing as if exhausted.

It seems that was when Lauren and James's dad noticed that James was with someone.

James felt the shift in Nadine's mood--she was feeling embarrassed, and noticed his family looking at her.

"Right." James said awkwardly. He didn't prepare any kind of introduction or story. It probably wasn't a good idea to go on about merpeople right now.

"This is Nadine." He started saying, just winging it. "Nadine, this is my dad and Lauren, my sister. We're twins."

He looked back at his dad and continued saying, "She, well, she was the one who found me. Saved my life, really. If it wasn't for her..." He trailed off, it was just registering to him right now. He would be dead if it wasn't for Nadine. He wouldn't be able to see his dad and sister again. He suddenly felt a great surge of gratitude for Nadine.

"Thank you." His dad suddenly said, not waiting for anything more and taking Nadine's hand in his. "Thank you for all you've done for our James."

Nadine blushed and hastily shook her head. "I don't think... I mean, I think anyone would have done so. Uhm."

James smiled, watching Nadine. She really was shy and doesn't take compliments or thanks well. It was cute.

"Anyway," James said, thinking up of something quick. "Her house is near the beach and with the tsunami and all, it's a mess there right now so I told her she can stay with us for a while."

Nadine looked at James but easily went along with his story. "Only if it's okay with you, sir." She said.

"Of course." James's dad said at once, smiling kindly at Nadine.

James's sister had urged all of them to go to the living room and for a while, they talked. James mostly talked, answering his family's questions about what happened and about Nadine. When Lauren had started asking more details about Nadine, James had hastily asked for dinner.