Chapter 17

(Cato's POV)

I have never run so fast in my life. I heard Clove's scream and immediately me legs were taking me to the Cornucopia. I see her through the trees. I run towards her, and my stomach churns when I hear a sickening crunch. And her lifeless body falls to the ground.

I kneel beside her, scoop her up in my arms, and take her into the shade of the trees, where the Capitol can't watch us. I lay her down onto the forest floor. She has a dented skull, and I can tell she is starting to slip away.

"Clove, you can't go..." I plead. "You'll be fine..."

She holds my hand.

"I'm not okay, Cato...I know I'm dying....just....just don't let the Capitol make....you....someone you're not....I...I love you Cato....." she whispers.

"I love you too...more than anything." I whisper back.

She has just enough time to reach up and give me a kiss on the lips, before her eyes flutter shut, and her cannon goes off. That's when I realise how weak I am. She was my strength. And now she's gone. Forever. I wanted her to win, not me. Her cannon might as well have been mine, because a small part of me died just then.

I can see her hovercraft coming. The claw reaches down and picks her up. I kiss her cheek for one last time, before she is lifted into the air, where I cannot reach her.

She is safe now.