Chapter 8

(Clove's POV)

It has been 5 years since my brother died. And now here I am - the same age he was when he was reaped when I was 12. Yesterday was my 16th birthday, so for the first time, my mom is actually letting me wear a little makeup, although it's limited. My hair has been curled and falls over my shoulders and my dress is a light shade of pink.

The square is full of new faces and old ones. I can still see Cato. He always looks at me when they reap the ladies. I highly doubt I'll be reaped this year - besides, I've gotten this far without getting picked! Only 2 more years left to go, and I'll never have to do it again. I'll be free...

Effie Trinket steps up onto the stage. This year, she's wearing a dark pink getup. It looks like she came right out of a time machine from Georgian England.

"Welcome, welcome! This is the reaping of the 74th Annual Hunger Games! As always, ladies first." she chirps. Her hand reaches into the bowl, and as always, I hold my breath as the suspense is getting to me. She opens the slip of paper and reads out the name. "Clove Kentwell"

My eyes slowly look around, almost looking for another Clove Kentwell. But I am the only one. And even worse, I think Effie recognises me from when Thomas was reaped.

"I bet my buttons that you're Thomas Kentwell's sister!" she exclaims, as I step up onto the stage. She looks at my face again, and a frown appears on hers. "Are you alright, darling? Your face is a little blue." That's when I realise I still haven't released my breath. I exhale. That's when for the first time, I see Cato's face in the crowd. He looks shocked, and his face has gone a grey, pale colour. In fact, I think he might even be choking back tears.

"Now, for the male tribute!" Effie sings. She pulls out the second slip of paper and reads it out loud. "Corbinus Clackmannan"

"I volunteer" Cato shouts. "I volunteer as tribute."

No Cato, I think. Cato don't do this. You've got so much to live for. While I have nothing left.

But it's too late. He's already up on the stage with me.

"Well, well, well!" Effie says. "Our tributes from District 2 - Cato and Clove!"

There is a huge round of applause from the crowd, as Effie announces us. All I can feel is regret. I should just let Cato kill me.

When my mom comes in to visit me, we are both in tears. This is the second time her child has been reaped for the Hunger Games. And I doubt I'll be coming back. But if I don't, she'll be alone. I'm the only child left.

"Mom, I promise I will win this thing for you...and for Thomas." I whisper.

"Honey, just remember that I won't be alone if you die." she whispers back. What?

"Are you and Dad getting back together?" I ask hopefully.

"Oh, no." she replies. "I'm pregnant."