Chapter 3

(Cato's POV)

I stab my sword into the floppy dummy propped up against a pole. As I pull it up, I can see Jack giving me a sarcastic round of applause.

"Why do you never like when I do something right?" I ask.

"Because you always do, and I don't." he replies, putting my sword back into its holder. "Hey, isn't that your girl over there?"

My girl? What is he talking about? I look over, and then I understand what he means. He's talking about Clove, who has just walked over to the knife-throwing section. This should be interesting, since the most annoying yet most popular girls in our year have just walked over to torment her.

"Good luck, Clove," Elsie retorts."See if you can actually hit the target!" she snorts with laughter.

Clove's fingers tighten around the handle of the knife.

"Yeah, you're such a weakling, you'll never even get that knife halfway across the room!" Leah shouts.

Clove raises her arm to throw the knife.

"You'll never be as good as your brother," Leah says. "In fact, he's not even that good anyway!"

That is the last straw for her. Clove throws the knife and it hits the bullseye. She then seizes another one and throws it at the target millimetres away from the two girls. You can tell she is angry. She is giving them the death stare.

"If you say one more insult about my family, I swear that in the arena I can make your death looks like an accident." Clove whispers.

She puts her knives away and walks out of the training room. There is a silence. Then a round of applause comes from Enobaria.

"That's what I'm talking about!" she exclaims. "Attitude!"