Chapter 6

(Clove's POV)

My brother takes a deep breath and makes his way up onto the stage. His legs are shaking, I can see it from metres away. I can't believe I didn't think about Thomas! How selfish was that? Why was I worrying about a boy I might be crushing on, when own brother, the person I love most, was about to go into the arena?

When I come in to visit him, I run into his arms and we just sit there for about a minute. He then tells me that he will win this thing no matter what. I'm not so sure, but I still believe he can. He may be a career, but at some point, someone's going to have to shoot first.

When he leaves, I feel empty. Because somewhere deep inside me, I know he's not going to make it. Because he is kind. That could serve as a weakness in the arena.

For weeks, we watch, until it comes down to the final 3. Thomas, Annie Cresta and a vicious girl from District 1. We watch tentatively at school on the TV. The terrain is desert. Thomas is very good with heat. He meets Annie Cresta. She is crying over her lost tribute from 4 who was beheaded earlier on. Thomas says that he won't kill her. I get a sinking feeling in my stomach. I think he is going to die soon.

The girl from 1 comes up behind him and Thomas plunges his sword into her chest...but not before she whacks him round the head with a metal pole. He collapses and his cannon sounds moments later. There is a silence in our classroom. Annie has won. And my brother is dead. But she didn't kill him. I am grateful for that. But it can't stop me from running home in tears.