Chapter 2

(Clove's POV)

I settle in very quickly. After a week or two, I already know who my friends are...and who my enemies are. A girl called Leanna and her 'sidekick' Elsie. But at least I have a good friend - her name is Rosemary. And of course, I get along with Cato quite well too. I wonder what he thinks of me?

One day, our class is called one by one into a small room were there is a woman that is apparently going to tell us something 'vital about our future' according to our teacher. I am sent in last. Sitting in front of me is the unmistakable victor of the 62nd Hunger Games - Enobaria. She scares me a little, but it's only because of her sharp, altered teeth. But it turns out, she's not all that bad. In fact, she's quite friendly in person. She greets me with her chilling yet warm smile and tells me to sit down.

"Hello there, little one. You are...Clove Kentwell, I presume?" I nod my head, slowly. "Good, good. Do you remember your brother training for the Hunger Games?" she asks. I nod my head again.

"He's very good with a sword." I say.

"I know," she replies. "I've seen him in training. He has a lot of potential. Something I think you have a lot of too."

My heart skips a beat. I look up and stare into her eyes. "Wh...what do you mean?" I ask.

Enobaria leans in a little closer. "Clove...you have been picked at random to be trained for the Hunger Games."

Butterflies immediately appear in my stomach. "The...the Hunger Games?" I say.

"Yes. Do you have any talents you are aware of?" Enobaria asks.

I have to think. I've never had the strength to do anything with swords, and if I did weights, the other tributes would crush me like a bug. I'm useless with plants, although I can cook them well. I can aim at things extremely well, although a bow and arrow is not the weapon I have in mind. Something a little different.

"I might be able to throw a knife." I whisper.

Her eyes light up. "Knife-throwing...now that's something to be proud of."