Chapter 16 | suspicion

Reader POV

Sitting alone in the water watching the starts go by is always nice, but when the moons passing is in 5 days it makes you extra careful of the time and your surroundings. When the moon passes at the right time and in the right phase, it has the power to possess merfolk and control their actions, possible exposing them or maybe even killing them. I've just been lucky enough to avoid it. When I was banished from my pod, I earned a mer-mark, they glow and become a darker colour as a warning from the moons light, they are kind of painful when they glow and they're usually on your shoulder blade or your wrist, mine was brandished on my wrist and boy did it hurt.

Right now I'm laying in the shallow parts of the secluded beach, my hair flowing around me and my tail floating around in the sparkling water. I hummed the tune to my favourite song from when I was a part of the pod. Also a protection spell on your island but when I was banished, the song lost its effect when I sing it.

"Moon beams gleam and glow,
Let your power shine,
Make the dark times rise,
And keep us in the light"

It usually goes a lot longer but I was banished at such a young age I never learned the rest. I sing the song on repeat, ranking my pod with all my heart for banishing me, if I was never banished, I would have never met Hiccup.

And never have known love exists.

I'm grateful for them shunning me because they believe dragons are bad, they're anything but bad.

I stare up at my favourite constellation: the trident, we have different constellations in our little mer-world.

The trident is a very powerful and sacred weapon in the mer-world. And in the wrong hands can be deadly.

I turn over so I'm laying on my side, drawing little swirls in the sand. Absolutely carefree. That's when I hear it.

"(Y/N)!"

It's Hiccup. He must be looking for me, I drag myself into deeper water and swim toward the cave, I would talk to him now but I need to think for a while. Clear my head about the fact the entire gang have been suspicious of me. It's getting annoying and I've been storming off in anger recently. I torpedo into the moonpool and float on my back, looking up at the starts again. Humming the same song as I go. Surprisingly the cave isn't that far from Dragons Edge. You could row a boat there, it just looks far away because of all the fog. I pull myself onto the side of the pool and put my elbows on my tail, and my head in my hands as I thought.

Suddenly I hear someone emerge from the water.

"I knew I'd find you here"

Hiccup.

I look up and see him leaning up against the edge of the pool, his blue tail shining in the moonlight.

"Yeah, I just wanted to clear my head" I said.

"Are you ok? You seem really ticked" he asks.

"I'm fine, it's just the gang are driving me nuts, they're all so suspicious and I still don't know if I can trust them" I said.

"As friends, yes. With the secret, I can't say... But just forget about it for now, if they're still annoying you I'll talk with them"

I smile down at him.

"Thanks"

"You're welcome" he replied

He pulls himself up to sit in the edge of the pool next to me.

"Oh and by the way, is something up with Toothless? He seems really stubborn" I asked.

"He's just in a huff because I didn't say sorry when we crashed the other day, God he pms's worse than Astrid"

"PFT HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!"

I fall back into the sand and clutch my sides in pain as I laugh, tears streaming down my face, hardly able to breathe.

"What?" Hiccup laughs.

"HE PMS'S WORSE THAN ASTRID OH MY THOR HAHAHHA!"

Hiccup just laughs at my childish behaviour and shakes his head.

"THAT WAS GOLD!" I scream.

Hiccup lays back next to me and starts laughing as hard as I am. This is honestly the best night I've had as a land dweller so far.

THAT. WAS. GOLD.