Chapter 16 - One Bad Apple

Start from the beginning

"Aw babe, they're just happy that you got a hot piece of ass like me," Oliver replied, a shit-eating grin plastered on his face as he gave his boyfriend a cheeky wink. Will just rolled his eyes, playfully slapping the blonde's cheek in response.

"Ok but honestly," Stacey Harcroft, who had randomly decided the join them for lunch, had chimed in. "This totally explains all the times he'd talk about you, Will. The whole time we were dating! Just on, and on, and on, about you, like, I should've seen it then," she recounted, shaking her head at her ex-boyfriend with a small laugh. There wasn't an ounce of sadness or malice in her tone, just light and playful as she joked around. 

Will was happy about that, not hating the girl as he once did. And he was happy that Oliver still had his close friend who hadn't abandoned him after they'd broken up and was now public about his relationship with a guy. Will had expected her to play the "jealous ex" stereotype, causing drama and trying to get between them, but he now saw how wrong he'd been, and had really underestimated what kind of girl Stacey was.

He was glad Oliver had a close friend like her.

Speaking of friends, Jenna and Chelsie had also decided to join them at lunch. Will hadn't seen either of them much, more or less avoided them after their run-in at the queer party several months ago. Things had obviously changed since then - mostly that Will was with Oliver now - but Will could still sense Jenna's disdain for his existence. Even now, as they sat at the table, Jenna looked as if she wanted to be anywhere else than were she was right now.

If Will was being honest, he'd say that if Oliver and Jenna decided to no longer be friends, he would have no issue about this, knowing full well that Jenna probably still talked shit about him when he wasn't around. He gave Oliver enough reasons to not date him, he didn't need Jenna to add to that - though Oliver didn't really seem to listen anyway, so it probably didn't even matter.

Will felt Kimi lean closer into him from his left side, only to hear her whisper to him, "Incoming," shortly after. He gave her a quizzical look, confused by what she meant, only for her to just give him an intensely meaningful look as she motioned her head forward to indicate what direction he should look.

He groaned as he saw who Kimi was warning him about.

Shayla.

Surprise, surprise.

Will steeled himself, mentally preparing his mind and soul from whatever god-fearing garbage spiel of sin and hell Shayla was about to unleash onto them for deciding to flaunt their non-traditional relationship so openly and without shame, or whatever other bullshit she was going to spit out.

He was honestly so glad that today was the last day of high school and he'd never have to see this she-beast ever again.

As she moved closer towards them, Will felt Oliver's grip around him tighten as he too saw what was coming and was trying to protect him from the oncoming storm. It was as if everyone at the table stopped breathing for a moment, unsure how the following moments would turn out once Shayla was mere footsteps from the table.

However, it was as if God decided to bless them, in some way, that day, with Shayla deciding to settle with a not-so-subtle, "fags burn in hell," under her breath as she walked past. 

Will felt Oliver tense up and move to react but he pulled the blonde back, whispering, "Let it go. We don't need to deal with her today." Oliver gritted his teeth, his anger at her comment still making him seethe. But as he looked into Will's eyes, he relaxed, realising that his boyfriend was right. Shayla wasn't going to ruin they're otherwise amazing day. So far, she was the only one to have an issue with them together. Most other people didn't care. Some people liked it way too much. So, one bad apple wasn't going to ruin the bunch.