)( Chapter Seventeen )(

It had been awhile since Felicity had been on land and though she loved being at sea, she had to admit, she missed the feeling of burying her feet in the sand until she found a cool patch. The Heart Pirates landed on a small tourist island not too far from the calm belt. They were nearing the end of the Grandline and would soon be making their way to the New World. Felicity dreaded the very thought of being back in the New World, back to imprisonment.

                “Hime-chan!” Shachi’s voice startled her from her crumbling thoughts. She turned curiously to find Shachi, Bepo and Penguin each with an armful of fresh picked flowers, some with roots and dirt still dangling from their ends.

                “What are you three up to?” She asked with a soft melodic laugh that instantly set all their hearts aflutter. Though she laughed so freely they could tell by the desolate look in her mesmerizing eyes that something was bothering her.

                The whole crew believed the captain had done something to upset their beloved fairy princess, but out of respect for their captain they didn’t question it. Instead they’d all resorted to doing small things to help cheer the girl up, even resorting to slapstick comedy from time to time.

                “Look what we found!” The auburn haired Shachi grinned as he held up his ‘bouquet’ of flowers to show her.

                “They’re beautiful.” The fairy like girl smiled as she left her spot on the shore and ran to meet them near the town’s edge.

                “For you.” The three said simultaneously while offering the girl flowers before glaring at one another.

                Felicity laughed and threw her arms around the three of them pulling them in for a hug, “Thank you.”

                Her smile was crippling. Tears glittered in her desolate gaze. No matter what they tried, they couldn’t get her old spark back. It was as if she’d given up all hope. Often when she lost herself in her miserable thoughts her hand would automatically reach up for the vial of deadly poison she had tied around her neck.

                The cool calculating captain of the Heart Pirates felt sick with himself of late as he watched the girl who’d once been so vibrant and full of life, she’d been a beacon of hope and joy, everything about her was dwindling away. Her smile was no longer as radiant or blinding, and her hypnotic gaze was heartbreaking of late. He watched her instinctually reach up to clasp the vial between her fingers as she tried to reassure his crew with fake smiles and forced laughter, but he saw through her. Law saw the inner turmoil that was slowly tearing her apart.

                “Don’t you all have somewhere to be?” Law pondered as he used his ability to appear behind the trio.

                Felicity felt her heart stutter in her chest as she glanced up at the ruggedly handsome man now standing before her as his crew quickly scrambled away. His steely grey eyes latched onto her in an instant causing her to inhale sharply as if she’d just stepped into a brisk cold night.

                “You’re looking quite pathetic of late, Miss Princess.” He drawled in a bored manner, “You’re moping about is beginning to effect the crew’s work.”

                “Sorry.” Felicity bowed her head, “I’d hoped it wasn’t noticeable.”

                “It’s blatantly obvious. You’re like an open book.” He scolded her and instantly regretted it as he saw her grip the vial of deadly poison for comfort. Ironically enough it was the poison she sought for support, it was her fail safe and it was poisoning her mind. She needed to be set free of it. “I’m concerned for the safety of my crew, and with you slipping; I can’t trust you with such a deadly poison.” Law held out his hand for the vial.

                “I wouldn’t use it on anyo-.” Felicity protested, but fell short when she was met with a cold hard steel glare. She hesitated and reached up to unclasp the chain around her neck.

                Law tucked the vial of deadly poison into his pocket, but felt a twinge of remorse at the helpless expression frozen on the fairy like girl’s face. “Rest assured, Miss Princess, so long as you are on my ship, I will protect you.”

                “And when I leave your ship?” Felicity asked distantly.

                 Law clenched his fists at his sides as he watched the beautiful fairy like creature begin to crumble. He cursed his own weakness as he felt the sudden urge to comfort her. “Worry about it if-when the time comes.”

                Felicity looked up hopefully. He’d said ‘if’. There was still a small miniscule ray of hope, a minute chance that she wouldn’t have to return to her uncle. “Thank you, Captain.” Her smile took his breath away.

                “I don’t know why you’re still just standing around; you have work to do as well.” Law scoffed.

                “I do?” Felicity asked confused.

                “Go find something to wear that doesn’t make you look like you escaped an uninhabited island only to recently rejoin the world of civilization.” Law scoffed while forcing himself to frown at her appearance.

                Most princesses didn’t run around barefoot with their hair in loose flowing waves to fly about as they pleased in the wind. She looked wild and untamable despite her demure demeanor.  A simple white handspun and hand sewn dress clung to her delicate frame. A princess should be dressed in the finest silks and satin. Felicity didn’t act like a typical princess.

                “I like the clothes I brought with me.” She protested.

                Law scowled, she was becoming much more defiant of late. Perhaps it was because she was getting more comfortable with him. Or perhaps he was becoming too soft. “Miss Princess, I have better things to do than tag along with you to make sure you find proper clothing.” He drawled as he caught her by the arm and steered her into town.

                Felicity felt a small jolt of electricity where his hand gripped her arm and resisted the urge to gasp. Normally he was rough with her, but his touch was gentle and comforting and despite claiming that he’d much rather be anywhere else than shopping with her, he looked content.