)( Chapter Eight )(

Felicity wrapped the small bottle of deadly monkshood leaves in a glimmering aquamarine string and strung it up on a silver chain to look like a unique pendant. In the event she’d ever need it, she’d have it close by. She found herself standing with a blank expression outside of Obaasan’s hut. Her heart hurt as she realized it would be the last time she saw the hut or the rest of the village.

                “Onee-chan, why are you leaving?” The children cried as they swarmed around her.

                Felicity threw a look in the direction of the cold calculating captain of the Heart Pirates before smiling at the children softly. “I’m going to find my family.” She hugged each child in turn.

                “You’ll come visit us, won’t you?” They asked hopefully and for a moment she worried she’d crumble.

                “Of course she will.” Amie responded with a strained smile, saving the angelic girl from uttering a lie. The older woman pulled the demure girl into a bone crushing embrace and Felicity jumped as she felt something slender cool and heavy pressed into her hands, “Just in case.” Amie whispered before helping her to hide the small wicked dagger in the satin sash tied at the young girl’s waist.

                “Amie.” Felicity gasped in awe not liking the idea of having a weapon. “I can’t-.”

                “Sh. Take it; I’ll feel better knowing you have at least some way of protecting yourself.” The older woman’s shoulders shook with heavy sobs as she held the youth close. “Be safe Fifi.” She kissed the young girl on the cheek before taking a step back.

                Tears welled in the young girl’s eyes as she watched her closest friend cry for her. “Thank you for everything you’ve done for me, Amie.” She choked.

                Law watched the fairy like princess say her tearful goodbyes with a heavy heart and hardened himself to the scene before him. He gruffly called out to the girl in an attempt to hurry her along, “We don’t have all day, Miss Princess.”

                Felicity felt her heart begin to crumble and she threw her arms around Amie one last time and looked for Obaasan quickly to say her final goodbye. The weathered old woman was standing next to the cold calculating pirate captain. She said something that no one else could hear that caused the unwavering pirate to stare at her with wide eyes for the briefest of moments as he was caught off guard by her words.

                “Take care, sweet child.” Obaasan cooed as she wrapped the young girl in a warm affectionate hug.

                “Obaasan.” Felicity sniffled as she hugged the older woman, “I can’t thank you enough for taking me in-.”

                “Hush child.” The old woman smiled, “It is I who should thank you for breathing life into this island once more.”

                “We’re leaving.” Law interrupted coolly as he caught Felicity’s slender wrist in his hand and pulled her away from the old woman.

                “Onee-chan!” The children cried frantically, “Don’t go!”

                Felicity turned away from their tear smudged faces as she felt her heart break. Her body trembled slightly and she fought to stay on her feet and keep from crumpling into a sobbing heap.

                “Onee-chan, don’t leave us!” The children wailed causing a single sob to escape the petite girl as she stumbled along after Law.