Elated

Duff

We pull up to the little diner on the strip that had the best chicken nuggets I could ever remember eating. The guys and I ate here pretty often before we got our record deal. They had really good food, and it was cheap, too. When your just a young kid barely making enough to pay the rent, you had to eat cheap.

"Here we are." I announce as I put the car in park. 

Ana looks at me and smiles. "Can you help him out of the car?" she asks. 

I nod my head. "Of course."

I get out of the car and shut the door behind me. I open up the door for the backseat and help my kid out, ensuring he doesn't get hit by a car on the busy LA streets. 

I had never been to Pismo Beach, but from what I've heard it's pretty rural. I can tell that DJ isn't used to living in the city. 

Ana steps on to the curb and holds her hand out. "Come on, Duff." she says. 

"Coming." I respond, and she proceeds to laugh. 

"I didn't mean you, Duff--I meant DJ. I guess I'll have to get used to that. Sorry." she giggles. 

I missed her laugh and the way she shot me that lascivious grin. 

Before we can get to the doors, the paparazzi spot me on the street. I sigh. This really isn't a good time.

The flashing of the cameras start, and I know this isn't going to be easy.

"Duff! Can we get a picture for the magazine?" One asks, and I just wave them off.

"Now's not really a good time." I tell them, walking inside the diner and leaving them all on the street.

Now, you'd think that would be the end of their hassling, but that's not how paparazzi worked. They'd try to snap pictures while we were inside the diner and stay outside of the diner until I left. They were just that fucking annoying.

Luckily, Ana made it inside before they spotted her, but I know they'll get her on the way out. When we were together, we were a popular topic in the magazines. Our car accident was all over the newspapers, and they posted stuff for months about it-- especially since Ana disappeared from public eye immediately after it happened.

I find Ana standing at the hostess desk, waiting to be seated. 

This was crazy. It was like we were doing something an actual family would do, and the funny thing was that I was so happy. I can honestly say there's no where else I would rather be then with my family.

I snake my arm around Ana's waist, and she turns to look at me. 

"Some things never change, do they?" she asks, and I'm not sure whether she's referring to the paparazzi or my arm placement.

"Nope." I respond. Either way, she was right.

"You can follow me right this way." the waitress says, and we follow her to a table. 

As we sit down, I choose the seat next to DJ, leaving Ana sitting on the opposite side of the booth by herself.

 It was weird for me to have to share her attention with someone else, because I never had to do that before.

The waitress gives us menus, and tells us she'll be back to take our order shortly. 

I don't even need to look at the menu, because I already know I'm getting a cheeseburger. 

I watch Ana's eyes as they scan the menu. DJ is playing with a toy dinosaur he brought. 

Man, he sure does love those things.