Chapter 12 (Akiko Rei)

Jun was going to be mad when she heard about the competition but I couldn't sit by and do nothing while she was gone. I was hoping she would at least play along, even if she didn't like it, or maybe even come back herself. I didn't even care if she yelled at me for it, as long as she came back.

But first I had to figure out what to do about my stalker. The list of people who had bought the special concert tickets that my agent had given me had been helpful and I had a good idea of who it was, but I really hoped I was wrong. I was staring at my phone, dreading the phone call I was about to make, but if I didn't want to be overheard now was the time to do it.

Finally, I hit call and waited. "Hello, Akiko, dear. I'm quite surprised to be getting a call from you." My mother said when she answered the phone and I swallowed before I started taking.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"Do what, dear? I'm afraid I don't know what you mean." She replied.

"Why did you hire a man to stalk me and send me threatening letters? Try to ruin my relationship with Ittoki?" I clarified and there was a long pause.

"That's not quite so simple to answer, Akiko. It's a really complicated matter..." She started to say.

"Then simplify it." I spat back and she sighed.

"Well, simply put, I'm trying to protect you. Protect the family." She said.

"From what?" I asked, trying not to sigh to heavily as I waited for her answer.

"Akiko, your father came from a very old and respected family of classical musicians. Your engagement to an orphan or even a pop star seriously damages their reputation." She said and for a moment I just stood there in shock.

"First, you're really going to try pulling the 'your father' card on me after he just up and abandoned me and Kazuki? Secondly, Ittoki is not a 'pop star', he is an idol and a skilled musician in his own right. Thirdly, you really think I care about the family's reputation? For the first time in my life I'm happy. I'm living the way I want to live and I'm engaged to the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. You think I'd throw that all away? And for you?" I finally stopped to catch my breath and there was a long enough pause I started to feel a little guilty.

"Akiko, you are the only one with the skills to join your father's family. Goodness knows your brother can't." She angrily replied and I froze.

"He can't? Not couldn't, but can't? Mom, was what happened to him your doing?" I asked softly.

"You want me to tell you what really happened? Fine, Akiko, I'll tell you the truth. Kazuki didn't have the skills to join your father's family, which was unfortunate, but worse was he started leading you away from classical music. So I planned the accident. The hospital told me he survive but had total amnesia and I decided that it was better that way so I just left him be." My mother said and my voice caught in my throat for a moment.

"I wish I could say I didn't believe you but unfortunately I believe that is exactly something you would do. You're so selfish, you know that? Is always been about what's best for you. But you've made your declaration so let me make mine. You are no longer my mother. I want you to call off your stupid stalker. I want you to tell my father's family that I will firmly deny any relationship to them. And I don't want you to ever contact me or Kazuki again. Good bye." I hung up before she could say anything more and for a moment just stood there, my hands shaking.

"Hey, Rei." Ittoki's voice reached me and I glanced back to see him in my doorway. "What's wrong?" He asked, knowing as he always did that something was up.

"My mother, Ittoki, she... She's behind everything. Splitting up me and Jun, my brother's accident. Ittoki, she knew. She knew he had survived and had amnesia and she just left him there." I said and he pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, Rei." He said gently and I find myself shaking my head.

"That's not even the worst part. She tried to break us up, after we announced our engagement." I said and he leaned back to look at me.

"What do you mean?" He asked and I took a breath.

"There's been someone stalking me, who threatened to release pictures of me and Kazuki after I met him again that made it look like I was cheating. And my mother had hired him to do it." I said and Ittoki looked startled.

"Wait, you've had someone stalking you? For how long? Why didn't you tell me?" Ittoki asked in rapid fire and the look on his face made my heart hurt.

"I'm sorry. I didn't now what to do. He told me not to tell and I really didn't want him releasing those photographs. I didn't want you thinking I was cheating." I almost whispered, my hands tightening on his shirt.

"Oh, Rei, I know you'd never cheat. More than that you need to tell someone if there's a stalker after you. Things worked out this time but what if he had tried to kidnap you or worse? Tell me or any of the guys or even go straight to Shining, but don't deal with it on your own." Ittoki said and I nodded, still clinging tightly to his shirt.

"I'm sorry." I repeated and he gently started stroking my hair.

"You're forgiven." He said, before he kissed my head, then he pulled back. "But, more importantly, Jun's mother called us. She heard from Jun." Ittoki said and I pulled back.

"Why didn't you say so earlier? Is she still on the phone?" I asked quickly and he smiled.

"Yes. Come on, then." He took my hand and pulled me along after him. I held on tightly to his hand, taking comfort from the feeling. For the first time I really noticed the ring on my finger and tightened my grip a little more.