Chapter 2 (Akiko Rei)

Music came from the room behind me, but it was barely audible with the door closed. I just needed to take a break. I hadn't had a moment to think since I ran into Akio. I glanced at the ring on my finger and smiled slightly.

"It might be weird to be talking to you, nii-san, since you might be in the room behind me, but I wanted to tell you. I got engaged today, to Ittoki. I can't even explain how I got to this point, but here I am." I thought.

A pair of arms wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly but gently. "Why are you out here by yourself?" Ittoki asked.

"I just needed a minute to think." I replied.

"Fair enough. It's been a hectic day for you." He commented and I nodded.

"That is an understatement." I replied with a laugh. I let out a soft breath. "Ittoki."

"Yes?"

I turned around to face him and looked him in the eyes. "Why did you propose?" I asked him.

"Why?" He seemed confused and I shook my head.

"It's not that I didn't want you to. I wouldn't have said yes if that were the case, alright? I just mean, we've only known each other for a little over a year." I explained.

"Oh." Ittoki thought about it for a moment. "I... It..." He started and fell silent a couple times. Finally he lined my face with his hands and set his forehead on mine. "Aki, listen closely. I love you. That's why. That's the only reason." He said.

I swallowed and smiled. I wrapped my arms around his neck and closed my eyes, leaning against him. We stood like that for a minute and then I moved back. "I should probably go back in there, huh?" I asked.

"You don't have to. Why don't you go down to the gazebo and I'll wrap things up here before I meet you there?" He offered. I laughed and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thanks for always knowing what I want." I said before climbing over the railing. I ran to the gazebo, but didn't go inside. I laid down on the dock and looked up at the sky. Everything still felt surreal to me.

I had just started to think Ittoki was taking too long when I heard footsteps. I sat up, but it wasn't Ittoki approaching me. It was Akio. "Oh. Hi. I didn't think anyone would be out here." He said.

I stood and brushed off my outfit. "I don't mind. Would you sit and talk with me, since we have a moment?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah, okay." He agreed. We sat down in the gazebo and for a moment neither of us spoke. Finally he opened his mouth. "Hey, could I maybe see a picture of your brother?" He asked.

I paused for a moment, in surprise. "Well, I don't have any pictures but I do have this." I handed him the video player and he started watching the video. I waited silently.

He didn't say anything as he handed it back to me and for a moment did nothing. Then he let out a heavy breath, his body slumping forward over his knees. "Geez. He looks like me, sounds like me, talks like me. He even dresses like me." Akio said and I nodded.

"He does." I agreed.

There was another pause then he sat up. "So, aside from this amazing series of parallels is there anything concrete, like a scar or tattoo, that could tie me to him?" He asked.

"It almost sounds as if you want to be him." I pointed out and he laughed.

"Maybe I do. It'd be nice to know who I was, if I have family. Plus, I'd get a cute little sister." He added, ruffling my hair and making me smile.

"Well, I know he had a tattoo, but I never did find out what or where it was." I told him.

"I can help with that." Ryuu said as he swung over the railing to sit near me. I yelped, jumping straight into Akio's lap.

"Ryuu!" I scolded and he laughed.

"Sorry Aki-chan." He said. I moved away from Akio and frowned at Ryuu.

"Anyway, where and what is the tattoo?" Akio asked him.

"It's a gold bell in a blue rose." Ryuu informed us.

"Gold bell? Doesn't Rei mean bell?" Akio asked.

"Yep. Just so you know, my man Kazuki? He had the worst case of older brother syndrome I'd ever seen." Ryuu informed him.

"With a cute sister like Akiko I'm not surprised." Akio replied casually. The two acted like the best of friends, exactly like Ryuu and nii-san.

"Jeez. He's already doting on you, Aki-chan." Ryuu said and I smiled.

"Anyway. We never did find out if you have a tattoo like that." I reminded.

"Oh, right. Well, I've never seen one, but..." Akio started.

"You wouldn't be able to unless you were looking for it. Stand up, let me see." Ryuu pulled him to his feet and pulled up his shirt, exposing his back. "I can't see it, but your jeans might just be to high." He said.

"Where exactly did Kazuki get this tattoo?" Akio asked with a somewhat worried expression.

"I'll show you later." Ryuu said and Akio looked at him. They were about to continue and would have if a pair of arms hadn't suddenly wrapped around my waist, making me yelp.

"Ittoki!" I scolded and he tightened his grip a little.

"Sorry. You were so preoccupied you didn't even notice me. I'm a little upset." He complained jokingly. I let out a breath.

"I got the hint. We'll go." Ryuu pushed Akio out of the gazebo and started pulling him towards the dorms. "But don't stay out too late and don't do anything hotheaded." He called before he and Akio were out of earshot.

I sat there for a minute trying to understand what he meant. Finally I turned to Ittoki. "Do you know what he meant?" I asked.

"Which part?"

"The last thing he said. What did he mean by hotheaded?" I asked. Ittoki was looking everywhere but at me and even in the dark I could tell he was blushing. "Ittoki?" I asked again.

He took my hand in his and kissed the ring on my finger. "Don't worry about it, okay? It was directed at me anyway." He said.

"If you're sure." I replied hesitantly then I yawned.

"Ah! I forgot you were up early this morning. Come on, you need sleep. We can talk tomorrow." He said as he took my hand and pulled me along towards the dorms.

We were holding hands, not saying anything, until we reached my room. He let go of my hand and turned to go. "Ittoki, thank you." I said quickly. He smiled brightly.

"Sleep tight. I love you, Akiko." He replied before he walked off. I nearly swooned, but then remembered that I still had a song to write by noon tomorrow.