Chapter 11: Thank you Mr.Osshen

Dan woke up the next morning to find Phil drinking his usual cup of coffee, but today he was still in his pj's.
"So, no work today?" Dan asked
Phil looked up and nodded
"Well I guess I'm off" Dan opened the door and walked out of his and Phil's apartment.
He felt the wind rush through his hair as he walked to work that morning.Dan looked at a bunch of kids playing ball as his stomach growled.He shook his head as he kept on walking towards the coffee shop.
Dan walked in and heard the familiar noise of the chime of the bell.
"Good morning Dan"
He looked up to discover Mr.Osshen cleaning a coffee cup behind the counter.
"Are you hungry" he asked
"Just a coffee, thank you"
Mr.Osshen smiled and got Dan's coffee ready, Dan sat down and stirred his drink.
"Something's troubling you, I can tell"
Dan looked up and sighed "I still hate what I've become....a monster"
Mr.Osshen laughed
"My boy, you still don't understand do you"
"Ghouls aren't monsters, I'm a ghoul but do you consider me a monster"
Dan shook his head
"Exactly, if it wasn't for what happened to you, I would have never met you and I'm glad I did"
Dan smiled, taking a sip of his coffee
"Dan you are the farthest from being a monster, I promise"
Dan sat his coffee down and just stared at his half empty cup
"Your thinking about Jess aren't you" Mr.Osshen sighed
Dan ignored his boss and looked past him
"You feel betrayed and I'm sorry, but just like humans, ghouls can be good and bad"
Dan looked at Mr.Osshen straight in the eye
"Also I believe your worried about Phil hurting you if he found out"
"Of your afraid that you might......"
Kill him
Dan stood up and slammed his hands on the table, shocking Mr.Osshen. You could see the tears falling from his eyes.Mr.Osshen walked around the counter and held Dan tightly. He could see the black veins forming through his eyepatch.
"I'm sorry I brought it up, but the best way to get through something, is to cry"
Mr.Osshen let Dan go and smiled, Dan took off his eyepatch and wiped his tears away with his sleeve.Mr.Osshen could see his eye, black as coal with a pupil as red as a cherry.
"Are you better?" He asked
Dan nodded putting his eyepatch back on
"You are so strong Dan' mentally and physically, I can tell" Mr.Osshen said grabbing Dan's shoulder
"I don't feel very strong"
"But you are my boy" Mr.Osshen walked back behind the counter
"I have a question" Dan blurted out
"Yes"
"If I am ghoul, how come only one eye changes and I can't control when it happens?" Dan asked
"I can't control my eyes when I younger either. Actually I almost killed someone once, someone I loved"
Dan suddenly got super interested
"When I was younger, before I met my wife, I had a crush on this human named Lily. She was a beautiful girl with red curly hair and green eyes. She loved flowers so I'd bring roses to her every day, but.....I almost hurt her one day with out even realizing, I was tired of being what I was, tired of killing people, so I stopped eating. When I got around her one day... I almost bit her, she saw my eyes and ran away scared.... I haven't seen her since"
"So you didn't bit her?" Dan asked
Mr.Osshen shook his head
"No but I got super close"
Dan sighed, he wanted to cry
"What if one day I accidentally hurt Phil?"
Mr.Osshen sighed " As long as you eat, you won't"
"And to answer your first question, I think your the rare type of ghoul"
Dan blinked
"A half ghoul hybrid"
Dan snorted
"Figures"