An Unlikely Main Character

"So I heard that some of your classmates passed away last night."

I shook, worried. Was it any of my friends? I hadn't talked much with them lately... Who who who WHO WHO?

Oh god.

"Who was it?" I asked nervously. My brother stood next to me, looking just as worried.

"8 girls, named Lily, Jozie, Sydney, Rylee, Gwen, Grace, and two twins named Amanda and Lindsey."

My heart fell at that last name. I had been a huge jerk to that poor girl.

This was my fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I squinted as the sun hit my eyes. The bells of the church rang around me. Knowing her, she wouldn't have wanted this. She probably just wanted to be cremated or buried, no service, but here I was, following a procession of people carrying 8 wooden caskets. There were the parents, shell-shocked. There were the other friends, crying. There were the popular girls and boys, looking awkward, but I knew that they had a personal victory party going on in their heads. I knew that they would indeed have a real party later.

I think I did something wrong.

They said a few words. When they reached her grave, the pastor seemed disgusted. They lowered the caskets in and buried them. There were no flowers for her except the ones her parents were obligated to give her. I picked a few and put some down as well.

There was a dark vine creeping up already. I shuddered.

I sat down in front of the grave and tried not to cry as I sat there. Maybe she could still hear me?

I looked up. I swear I saw something move.

But it was just my eyes playing tricks on me.

My brother took my hand. "Hey, it's time to go. They've got a meal planned for the attendees."

I looked up at his face. He smiled gently at me and I stood up reluctantly. I just wanted to apologize.

"Sorry."

I swear I could feel her hand in mine, as if I was dragging her behind me like my brother was to me.

I see her everywhere.