Chapter Seventeen

"Let's go, Lorraine." Brunski's voice sounded through the tape player. I scoffed at his voice. I hated that man with a passion. Is it bad that I'm happy he's dead?

I pushed the chair back that I was sitting in and paced back and forth behind Stiles.

"Listen to me. Please listen," Her voice was soft. "There's something I have to do, something I have to stop."

I stopped pacing and stared at the tape player, listening intently.

"I have to take you back to Eichen, Lorraine," Stiles leaned up and turned the volume up as Brunski talked.

"No. No. I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere. I can hear the recorder in your pocket. It's on now, isn't it?" I placed a hand on Stiles's shoulder as we both leaned up closer. "You're making a tape. Just like you taped the others."

Stiles's hand hit the stop button before turning around to me, "This didn't happen at Eichen House."

"But then where did she go?" I asked and sat back down in the chair.

"That's what we need to find out."

Stiles and I listened to the tape over and over again. By now I could quote everything they said. By the tenth time I closed my eyes and tuned my heightened hearing to the background. Trying to hear anything unusual. Then I heard something.

Stiles hit stop and replayed it back a little. 

"... back to Eichen, Lorraine."

"No. No. I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere."

"That's it. That's where it is. Play it again and turn it up," I informed Stiles.

He did as I told him and turned it up to max volume before he hit play

I listened intently before the tape finally cut off. A moment of realization hitting my face. "It's the record player."

"What record player?" He asked me.

I stood up, "The one in the lake house, in the study."

"So she escaped from Eichen House to go back to listen to a record player?" Stiles was obviously confused.

"Well, she was like Lydia, right? She was a banshee?" I walked back and forth, piecing it all in my head.  

"Yeah, but only once. She predicted Maddy's death and then just spent decades trying to predict something else," he replied.

I turned my back towards him, staring at the wall. "Maybe she finally did." I turned back to him with full on confidence. "And what if this time, it wasn't just one death, it was a lot of deaths?"

Stiles leaned forward in his seat, "Like the deal pool."

"What if all those years ago, Lorraine predicted it? And she knew there was something in the study that could stop it?"

Excitement filled Stiles's face as he flung up from his seat, "Then we're going to the lake house."

The second we stepped outside I had a cold chill run up my spine. I stopped in my place and watch Stiles run to his jeep.

He opened the drivers side but stopped and looked at me with worry. "What's wrong?"

"I have this bad feeling." I looked around the perimeter, trying to spot anything or anyone unusual.

"Like what kind of bad feeling?"

"That someone is watching us," I whispered. 

Act natural.