How the Puzzle Works

I walk over to Dylan, Monday morning and sit next to him. He is in his new black jacket and jeans, It's 30 degrees outside about time he gets cold. His hair has been freshly cut into a crew cut, and he is tuning his guitar for class. He rolled the sleeves of his jacket up and started to lightly strum his guitar.

"Hey Dylan." I say with a smile.

"Nikki leave me alone." My smile vanishes.

"Why?"

"I don't think I should tell you."

"Why not?"

"I don't want to hurt your feelings." He said.

"Tell me."

"Once I say it, I can't take it back."

"I know, just tell me."

"Nikki I'm giving up, you don't want to date. so i'm trying to get over you." My stomach knotted intensely at his words.

"Dylan... I don't know how this is going to go but i have too tell you," I said taking in a deep breath and building my courage.

"I have had a crush on you on and off for the past 4 years! I think about dating you, I know you'd make me happy, I know all this stuff. I want to try but I'm scare. You don't scare me, I scare myself. I'm used to everything being my fault and others causing me pain and i didn'twant you to be another one of those people.... because i like you. I'm scared because i've been mentally abused then gotten terrible news constantly. You're what I want in a guy even though half the time I have no clue what you're saying. What cheers me up is that hug, i hear you're heart beat and that means your still alive. I cant explain it to you well enough." I sigh, I've run out of breath and I feel the tears streaming down my face as I finally tell him the truth.

"It's ok.... i understand you want me as a friend." He holds his hands up like he's given up."

"No you don't get it.... i want you as more than a friend.... you don't get what I'm saying." Tears continue to sear my cheeks.

"So you want to date? He said wiping them away.

"At the very least I want to try...."

"Nikki are you sure? I feel like i've pressured you into this...."

Dylan, I want to try.... four years, i've liked you.... either my heart is being mean to me or its trying to tell me something. i think i even know why its flippyso much. yes i'm scared as hell but i trust you more than anyone not to hurt me....."

"Do you really want this Nikki?

"I'm as sure as i can be. Please,you've always told me to follow my heart and you've pushed me to do what I want..... I want to try...."

"Well then Nikki, if you don't mind me asking, would you like to be my girlfriend?"

"I'm pretty sure I'd love it." I could feel the smile returning to my face. He gave me a tight hug, like he'd never let me go. I felt warm and happy, like something finally clicked into place and I hoped he felt it to. "I can hear the I told you so's now." I said with a laugh.

"Can you blame them? They've been pushing this for a while."

"True, but the end result is the same." I hugged him tighter.

"This time I'll try not to change."

"I'll try my best at this." I said with a smile.

When the bell rang, everyone dispersed around us. After a while we had to go to class or  be late, we said bye and went to class smiling like idiots. I couldn't concentrate in class, what Catherine calls, the honeymoon phase is in full effect. I knew it would be fast news throughout the school, but I didn't care. It would just make me smile more and more, My cheeks hurt from smiling so much, but I just couldn't stop.

I think I figured out why my mood always changed on Dylan, I talked to him all the time when I had a crush on him. The magic of discovery, that you get from talking to someone you like, fades as you talk to them. I would talk to Dylan constantly and I think that's what did it. There will be day I talk and others I won't because I do want to try. We both deserve at least a try, to see if it would work.

I felt as though everything had come together so nicely, like making a puzzle, work from the outside in until that final piece fits just where it belongs. In the end the entire picture is shown and you finally get to see how everything works together to give you a beautiful picture.