Miracle

Hermione felt as though she was floating in a sea of black. Somewhere she could hear the squalling of an angry baby. She swam towards the sound.

'Look, did you see that? I think she's waking up...'

Hermione's eyes fluttered open and Ron's worried, freckled face came into focus. He held a screaming bundle in his arms, rocking it gently. Harry was perched on a chair, his pale face creased with concern. Hermione's mother swept her up into a hug and her father peered nervously at her while patting his wife's back. When her parents moved, Ron stepped forward.

'Look, we have a son,' he whispered, beaming down at the red-faced baby.

Harry helped Hermione to sit up, careful not to knock the bandages wrapped around her stomach. Ron passed the baby to Hermione, who stared at her son in wonder.

'Hello baby, it's nice to meet you. Yes it is, I feel like I've known you forever,' Hermione cooed at him. He wrapped his tiny fist around her finger, his face screwed up with anger. 'Are you hungry? Hey? Here, let's see if that will make you feel better. Good boy, was that it? You were just hungry? Got to feed you up to be big and strong, you'll be a football player one day, the way you were kicking my organs about, yes you were!'

'Have you thought of a name for him yet?' Hermione's mum asked, smiling at her daughter.

'Hugo,' Ron said, with a quick glance at Hermione for confirmation. Hermione nodded serenely, still cooing at her baby.

'Where's Rose?' Hermione asked, looking around the room in sudden panic.

'She's at our house, Ginny and Molly are looking after her and the boys,' Harry reassured her quickly. 'They're going to bring her to visit, now that we know you're both ok.'

A Mediwizard knocked on the door, carrying a tray of potions. Hermione's visitors stepped outside while she examined Hermione and Hugo.

'You gave us quite a scare, Missy,' the Mediwizard told Hermione as she weighed Hugo in a strange contraption, full of wheels and pulleys. 'We thought we were going to lose you both for a little while there. But you're a strong woman and you pulled through it.'

She fussed around Hermione's stomach, changing the bandages and cleaning the wounds from the operation.

'What happened?'

'We're not quite sure. You went into labour but then there were some complications. Lucky for you that Mr Malfoy was around! Things might not have had such a happy ending otherwise. He got you here just in time.' She didn't seem to notice Hermione's derisive snort. 'Now then, you need to take this potion three times a day for a week, this one each morning for a month and this one at exactly midnight tonight. Can you remember all that? They're all labelled and the volunteers will come around to remind you when the time comes for each one. Can I get you anything?'

'No, I think I'm alright. Thank you.'

The Mediwizard bustled back out of the room as a curly-haired whirlwind rushed past her.

'Mama! Where baby at? See it! See it baby!' Rose hopped around the room, peering into corners as though her brother was playing Hide-And-Seek.

'Here he is, come and see. Would you like to hold him?' Rose's hair bounced as she nodded vigorously. 'Ok, sit down here next to me, and be really careful. You got him? Good girl, well done! Can someone pass me my phone? I need a photo of this, it's in my bag, hurry!'

Hermione's dad took his mobile phone out of his pocket and took photos of Hermione, Rose and Hugo, while Harry rummaged through Hermione's bag. He winced as he bumped the stack of books over and heard them tumbling down inside the bag. He passed Hermione her phone and grinned as she took photos of her babies. Ron hovered nearby, suddenly feeling insecure.

'Come here Ron, come and be in a selfie with us,' Hermione suggested, shyly.

Ron crouched next to Rose and Hugo, smiling adoringly at his two children.