Chapter 16

I headed up to the hospital right after I got out of school. I wanted to spend time with Dallas, and see how Johnny is doing. I walked up to the front desk where the lady sat from the night before. I told her I was visiting a few people, so she let me go on.

I pushed the 3 button on the button rack. Tacky elevator music played as I waited, holding my hands. After a minute, the elevator dinged and opened the doors.

I stepped out and saw a nurse in the hallway, I walked up to her. “Where is Johnny Cade at? Am I able to see him?” I asked.

She bit her lip and looked around. “Doctor?” She asked.

The doctor walked out a room, he was the one from the night before. He smiled at me. “Ah, seeing Mr. Winston again?” He asked.

The nurse looked up at him, whispering.

The doctor nodded. “She can see him. But only for a little bit. He’s still very weak.” He said with a grim look on his face.

I smiled and thanked him, walking into the room he had just walked out of. I stood over Johnny’s bed. He was lying face down, with a mirror for him to see. He had terrible burns all over his back, arms, hands… I took a deep breath, holding in my tears. “How you doing, Johnny?” I asked, sitting down, and looking at the mirror.

Johnny’s eyes met with mine. The gas tank gave oxygen. “I’m alright… I’m alright…” He said trying to give me a smile.

“It doesn’t look like it, Johnny.” I said, hearing my voice crack.

Johnny closed his eyes and winced. “Yeah, I ain’t… I busted my back and got a lot of bad burns.” He said weakly. He took a few breaths.

I tapped my foot. “You’re gonna get better though. You’re strong.” I said lightly nodding.

“I don’t know if I can, Kat.” He said looking into the mirror. “I really just don’t think I can.” He said closing his eyes again, like he was in pain.

I tilted my head and felt my eyes water. “I really hope you do, damn it.” I said, turning my head and shutting my eyes tight. I tried with all I had not to cry.

“Hey… Don’t beat yourself up because of me.” Johnny said softly. “I’ll be fine.” He lied. He wasn’t going to be fine… “You should go visit Dallas. I know he wants to see you.” Johnny said after a long pause.

I opened my eyes and nodded. “Alright, I think you need rest anyway.” I stood up and looked at him through the mirror. “I’ll catch you later, Johnny Cade.” I said turning away.

I shut the door behind me and leaned against it. I wiped away the tears the came flowing. I covered my eyes, realizing that I couldn’t stop myself. I just knew Johnny wasn’t going to make it, and he knew it too. That was probably the last time I’d ever talk to him, and I didn’t want to accept that.

I sat down at the chair next to the door and wiped my damp face with the sleeve of my jacket. My eyes felt puffy. I didn’t want to see Dallas looking like a mess, so I sat there a while. The nurse I spoke to earlier came up to me.

I looked up at her. “Johnny isn’t going to make it, is he?” I said so low, I wasn’t sure if she even heard me.

She looked at me like I was a stray puppy on the streets. She slowly shook her head. “I’m afraid not. I’m sorry.” She said. She patted my shoulder and walked into the room.

I stood up and looked at the light so I wouldn’t start bawling again. I headed over to Dallas’s room.

When I opened the door he was standing up, pulling off a hospital gown. I quickly shut the door and looked at him. “Sorry, I don’t have any money.” I said snickering.

Dallas threw down the gown and ran over to me. He picked me up and excitedly kissed me. He put me back down and looked at me. “I won’t charge you.” He said kissing me neck.

I giggled. “Good.” I said.

Dallas crawled in his hospital bed, I sat down at the chair I had pulled up last night. “Don’t like the gown? I thought it was beautiful on you.” I said, trying not to laugh.

Dallas shook his head and chuckled. “I was too beautiful for it. Nah, man. That thing was itchy.” Dallas scrunched up his nose and wiggled. He looked over at me. “I’m really glad you’re here.” He said smiling.

I smiled back at him. “I was here last night too. You were asleep.” I said turning red, realizing I sounded like a pedophile. “In a non-creepy way.” I quickly added.

He nodded. “I thought I felt something on my hand.” He said. “Why don’t you hop in here?” He asked.

I kicked off my shoes while Dallas scooted over. I crawled under the thin white sheets. Dallas held me close as I rested my head on his chest. “Dallas?” I asked.

“Hm?”

“Was it scary?” I asked, looking up at him.

Dallas licked his lips. “I was scared for Johnny and Pony.” He said.

I didn’t say anything for a while. “Are you hurt bad?” I asked.

Dallas kissed the top of my head. “I’m fine.”

“But you’re still here, Ponyboy got to go home. Why not you?” I asked.

Dallas shrugged. “I guess it’s the broken ribs. Maybe they just want me to miss the rumble.” He said. “Did I tell you Tim Shepard dropped my?” He asked.

I shook my head. “No.” I looked up at Dallas. “I was scared.” I said softly. “I was real scared.”

“You don’t have to be.” Dallas said, rubbing my arm.

The door’s opened, and a different nurse came in. She looked at us, put the tray down, and quickly walked away. After that Two-Bit and Ponyboy came in. Ponyboy turned a dark red, and looked at Two-Bit. He whispered something, and Two-Bit shook his head.

Two-Bit walked over to us and gave Dallas a present.

“Hey, I’m gonna let you guys talk. And I think it’ll be less awkward for Pony.” I said laughing. I kissed Dallas on the cheek, and left the room.

I sat down at the chair that was outside the room. The nurse that had come in earlier looked at me. “Were you two?” She trailed off, raising an eyebrow.

I laughed and shook my head. “No, he didn’t like the way the gown felt so he took it off.” I said.

She nodded. “Then why were you two in bed together?” She asked, slightly giggling.

I shrugged. “He wanted company.” I said smiling at her.

“Mhm.” She walked away.

I rolled my eyes and sat back in my seat. I picked at the chipped part of the chair I hadn’t noticed before. I was humming to myself when Two-Bit and Ponyboy had walked up. “Hey, we’ll see you later.” Two-Bit said shaking hands with me.

I nodded and stood up. I walked back inside the room. Dallas was laying down, holding a knife. I gasped.

Dallas looked up at me and flicked the knife around so it wasn’t showing anymore. It was Two-Bits butterfly knife. He nodded his head for me to come near him.

I sat down at the chair and looked at him nervously. Dallas looked like he was about to cry. He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths.

“I’m going to that rumble tonight. For Johnny.”

Alright, the next chapter is the last chapter! I would really appreciate it if I got messages. Pretty please. Thanks! There will be two partss