Chapter 14

I was standing in front of the Curtis house. I was really considering turning around and going home. I didn’t want to face Dallas. I was kind of scared to. I’ve seen him mad, and it isn’t pretty. Maybe he had gotten over it, but I highly doubt it.

After a good five minutes, I closed my eyes and tilted my head back. I breathed in, calming myself, trying to slow my heart beat down. I opened the gate and walked through the door.

Dallas was sitting in an arm chair smoking a cigarette. He looked up at me with a supervised look on his face. Then it got mad, and then calm. He crushed the burning part of the cigarette and flicked it at Sodapop, who was sitting on the couch with Steve.

Dallas waved me over to walk down the hall. We walked into Soda and Pony’s room, and he shut the door. Dallas wiped hit lip with his thumb and looked at me. “We’re cool.” He said finally.

I nodded. “Cool.” I said, shoving my hands in my pockets and heading towards the door.

Dallas pushed me against the door and held my waists. He moved close to my ear. “I’m real sorry.” He whispered. His breath tickled. I giggled cause it really did tickle.

He kissed me roughly on my lips and dug his fingers into my waist. I grabbed his hands. “That hurts.” I said softly.

Dallas licked his lips. “Sorry.” He said looking into my eyes. “You have real pretty eyes.” He said, kissing my cheek.

I smiled and blushed. He never really told me I was pretty, or said that I had pretty eyes. I just assumed he thought I was good looking, because you had to be good looking to be with Dallas Winston.

After about a minute or so I heard a knock on the door. “Hey, I gotta use my room.” Sodapop said behind the door.

Dallas stepped back and I opened the door. Sodapop grinned and laughed. “I hope you guys didn’t break anything. I heard a lot of banging around in there.” He said walking in, giving a wink.

We walked back to the living room, and Dallas sat down. I went to take Soda’s spot on the couch, but Dallas grabbed my hand and pulled me down to sit on his lap. He kissed the top of my head and wrapped his arms around me.

I sat there comfortable and watched the TV, well I wasn’t really ‘watching it’, but I was looking at the screen.

I was thinking about how much different today was from yesterday. Yesterday around this time I was running and crying my eyes out in the freezing air, now I’m cuddling with Dallas on the chair in a warm house.

Sodapop walked back in and smiled at us. “I told you.” Soda said sitting back down.

I felt Dallas turning his head. “Told her what?” He asked.

“Yesterday when I found her I told her that you guys would be fine the next day. And you are.” He said nodding his head. “You couldn’t stay mad at her.”

I looked up at Dallas. “Well, he was right, right?” I asked.

Dallas nodded and grinned. “Yeah, he was.”

We sat there for a good long while, then Darry came in. He looked glum, I guess he was still sad about Ponyboy being gone and all. He ignored us and went straight to the kitchen.

I looked out the window and saw the sun was setting, I stood up. “Hey, I’m gonna head home guys.”

They all nodded and said bye, Dallas stood up and offered to walk me home.

We walked down the street, and Dallas spoke up. “Hey, I’m going to see the boys tomorrow.” He said. “I think it’s calmed down enough.” He said kicking a bottle into the road.

I nodded. “You gonna be gone all day?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Maybe, if I am I’ll visit your window.” He said smiling at me.

I smiled back at him and took his hand into mine. We arrived at my house. I looked up at him. “You wanna stay for dinner?” I asked. “I mean if you don’t want to, it’s cool.” I added quickly when I saw his expression.

Dallas licked his lips and shrugged. “What harm can it do? Your old man isn’t here anymore, it should be okay.”

We walked inside and I smelled something cooking. I walked into the kitchen, my mum was stirring a pot. She looked over at me, then at Dallas. She smiled nervously.

“Hey, mum, can Dallas stay for dinner?” I asked, giving my half smile.

My mum opened her mouth for a minute. “Uh, sure! Sure, I’m cooking spaghetti, it’ll be done in maybe, ten minutes?” She said looking into the pot. “Yeah around ten minutes. Just make yourself comfortable until then.” She said nodding.

We walked into my living room and sat down on my dark blue couch. I leaned my head on Dallas’s shoulder. “Weird, you’re actually here with permission.” I said looking up at him.

Dallas chuckled and kissed my forehead. “Yeah, I was thinking about that.” He paused for a minute. “Does your mum like me?” He asked.

I shrugged. “She ain’t had time to hang with you, she doesn’t have an opinion yet.” I said.

Dallas nodded. “Cool deal I guess. Does she cook good?” He asked, raising his eyebrows.

I laughed. “You’ll see.” I said.

My mum called us in, and had plates set with food on them. I took a seat next to Dallas. I put a spoonful in my mouth and felt a few noodles crunch. I saw the look on Dallas’s face when he took a bite, and I guessed his did the same. I giggled softly and ate some more.

My mum asked normal parent questions, if he was in school or not, where he lived, things like that. Although we both knew damn well what has happened to him. Everyone did, it was like a legend around here. Dallas Winston.

After we finished, my mum took our plates. I walked out the kitchen and Dallas followed me out. He looked around for a bit, then leaned down. “Hey, I really don’t know when I’m gonna be back. So around midnight I’m gonna come through your window and stay awhile.” He said grinning and winking.

I nodded and kissed him. “Alright, look forward to it.”

Dallas walked out and smiled at me, closing the door behind him.

I walked back into the kitchen. “You don’t like him do you?” I asked leaning up against the counter.

My mum shrugged. “I don’t know, he isn’t a mothers dream. But he makes you happy, so I’m happy.” She said smiling at me.

I nodded and looked at the time, it was 9:00. Only a few hours away. I kissed my mum on the cheek. “I’m gonna go get some papers done and go to bed.” I said.

I walked in my room and closed the door. I went to my dresser and pulled out grey sweat pants, and a white tank top.

I sat on my bed and sighed, I really didn’t know what to do. After about ten minutes of staring at my wall, I slumped over to my desk and sat down. I put my elbow on the desk and rested my head on my hand. I flipped through my text book and got a few pages of questions done. I glanced at the clock and saw it was 11:30.

I decided to get my English paper done too. I had to write about what I wanted to be when I get out of college, or if I was going to college. I wanted to be a writer. I think, I really don’t know.

I felt dizzy and felt my head slam on the desk. I had a blank dream.

After a while of black, I felt a shake on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Dallas looking down at me, laughing. “Fell asleep?” He asked.

I nodded and stood up, stretching. I turned off the lights in my room and crawled into my bed. I patted the free space left on it. “Wanna come in?” I asked.

Dallas kicked off his boots and took off his jacket, and scooted in. He put his arms around me, as I rested my head on his chest.

For a while we talked in hushed voices, and silently giggled at little comments. I looked up at him and smiled and kissed him. “I think I might be falling asleep.” I said sighing and closing my eyes.

Dallas brushed the hair off my face. “I’ll stay with you all night.”