Chapter 10

Next week~

I woke up feeling groggy. I hadn’t gotten much sleep last night cause I was out with Dally. We were at a party and having a great time, but I didn’t realize how much time had went by.

I stood up and walked out my bedroom, feeling like a zombie. I walked into the living room and saw my mum on the couch. She was watching TV with some coffee. She looked up at me. “Where were you last night?” She asked.

I yawned. “I was at a party with Dallas.” I said blinking a few times.

She shook her head and sighed. “Just because you got a boyfriend and all these new friends doesn’t mean you can just disappear for a while.” She said looking up at me. “Just let me know when you might be home late so I don’t worry.” She said giving me a meek smile.

I nodded and smiled at her. “Alright, mum. I might be at the Nightly Double tonight with Dallas, and we might head over to Buck’s. So heads up.” I said turning to the kitchen.

I poured myself a cup of coffee, I added cream and sugar. I never did like it black, it tasted bitter that way. I leaned up against the counter and looked at the wall, where I stood with Dallas last week. I smiled to myself and blushed.

I couldn’t believe how much my life had changed in the past months. I didn’t have friends, didn’t go to parties… Now I have a technical boyfriend, seven friends, and went to parties almost every weekend. It was real nice.

I finished off my coffee and headed to my room. I closed the door and looked at what I wanted to wear. I got a skirt, tights, and a sweater. I put on the clothes and left my pajamas on the floor. I walked into the bathroom and curled my hair, and put a bow on the back of my head. I put on some clear lip gloss and some vanilla perfume.

Since I partied last night I felt out of it. I grabbed a book and headed out the door I told my mum I was going to take a walk, and that I might not be back for a while.

I walked down the street, feeling the familiar chill on my face. It had to be around 12:00 pm. I walked a few blocks and made it to Dairy Queen. I ordered a small salad and a coke. I gave them a dollar and sat down at their tables.

I opened the book to where I had a bookmark, and started reading. I would aimlessly stab lettuce with my fork and eat it, and every now and then get a sip of my coke. After I was done with both, I was done with a chapter and was a few pages into the next one.

I threw away my stuff and went on walking. The DX wasn’t far from here, so I decided to head that direction.

When I got there Steve and Sodapop were relaxing on a gas pump. The saw me, and looked up. “Hey!” Sodapop said giving me a warm smile. Steve nodded and waved.

I walked up to them. “How’s it going, guys?” I asked.

They nodded. “We’re fine. Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” Steve asked, squinting.

I shrugged. “My grandma died three days ago, so my mum let me stay home the rest of the week.” I said. I wasn’t close to my grandma, I got to see her three times a year. My birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. She was a crazy old religious lady. But my mum was so sad, she wanted company, which I wasn’t giving her.

Sodapop nodded, he put his hand on my shoulder. “Sorry to hear that, Kat.” He said sympathetically.

I smiled at him. “Thanks. Hey, you seen Dallas?” I asked.

“Him. Johnny, and Ponyboy were here a while ago.” Steve said. “They’re heading to the Nightly Double.” Sodapop said, adding to Steve.

I sighed. “They might already be half way there. I’ll see you guys later.” I said waving at them.

I turned around and sighed. It must be 3:00 now.

I made my way around the block and passed a place where the police were, I had a pain in my chest and hopped Dallas didn’t cause anything. I walked up to a guy hanging out next to a car. “What happened here?” I asked looking up at him.

He looked at me, moving the toothpick he had in his mouth. “Guy pulled a blade on a gang.”

I nodded. “Would he happen to be Dallas Winston?” I asked.

He shook his head and laughed. “Nah, Dallas was talking to me. It was some small Asian or something. Dallas left a while ago.” He said looking down at me. “You his groupie?” He asked.

I shook my head and sighed. “I don’t really know.” I said turning around.

I headed down the street, passing a few stores. It was getting dark. I felt like I was on a wild goose chase. I walked into a field, and started jogging. It was almost completely black now. I made it to the fence of the Nightly Double.

I crawled under it and came up on the other side. I made my way past a few cars to the seats in the back. I saw Ponyboy, Johnny, Two-Bit, and two girls sitting together. I walked up to them, a little out of breath. “You seen Dallas around?” I asked.

“He left about ten minutes ago, you okay, Kat?” Two-Bit asked.

I nodded and took a few breaths. “I’m fine. I’ve just been trying to find him all day.” I said, running my hands through my hair. “I think I might just give up and go home.” I said shaking my head.

Two-Bit nodded. “Might be a good idea, Tim just left pissed off. I guess Dallas slashed his tires and he’s looking for a fight.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fantastic!” I said feeling a bit angry.

“Kat, you should sit down. You don’t look so hot.” Johnny chimed in.

I nodded and took a seat next to him. “Thanks, Johnny. I think I might get a coke and head home, maybe check on Dallas before I do. I don’t know.” I said closing my eyes for a minute.

I sat there for a few. The girls were Cherry and Marcia. Apparently Dallas took things too far and left. I didn’t really like that, but I can’t do anything about it.

I stood up after being filled in. “Alright guys, I’m gonna check on Dallas and go home. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said waving at them.

After maybe ten minutes of jogging, I made it to Buck’s. I knocked on the door. It swung open, with Buck at the door. He smiled at me and stepped back. The lighting was red, and there was the familiar smell of smoke in the air. “Where is Dallas?” I asked, turning to Buck.

He nodded up the stairs. “He’s recovering from the fight with Tim. It was a fair fight, but you know how Tim and Dallas are.” Buck said with a disapproving look on his face.

I nodded, feeling the same. “Alright.” I said walking off.

I walked up the stairs and went to the room Dallas usually used. I opened the door and saw him on the bed, with his arm over his eyes. He sat up really fast, “Hey man-.” He stopped himself when he saw it was me. He gave a weak grin.

I walked over to him, and sat on the edge of the bed. “I’ve been trying to find you all day.” I said with a shaky laugh. I noticed his black eye. “You okay?” I asked.

Dallas nodded. “Just a few bruises and cracked ribs.” He said flashing me his grin.

I shook my head. “You guys fight fair but rough.” I said.

Dallas laid down and pulled me down with him. He wrapped his arms around me, and rested his head on mine. “Stop worrying about me.” He whispered.

I put my head on his chest. “I just don’t want anything happening to you.” I whispered back.

“Baby, I’m gonna be fine.”

“You better be.”