Chapter 15

I walked into the Curtis house and looked around. Sodapop was the only one in the house. He looked up at me and smiled. “Fancy seeing you here.”

I laughed. “Dallas back yet?” I asked.

Soda shook his head.

I groaned and flopped down on the couch. I hope he will get back soon, I missed him. Although I was with him until I fell asleep, I just like being around him. He makes me really happy. I don’t know, I just feel empty without him.

“Where did he go anyway?” Soda asked.

I looked at him and sighed. “You can’t tell Darry.” I said. I got up and walked to him. “Pinky promise?” I asked.

Soda locked pinky fingers with me. “Promise.”

I nodded and got back on the couch. “He’s going to see Johnny and Ponyboy.” I said letting out a long sigh.

Soda shook his head. “I knew he knew where they were! I’ll get him when he gets back…” Soda trailed off, swearing every other word.

I laughed. “Yeah…” I said. I wondered what they were doing. Maybe Dallas was telling them about what the fuzz was up to, or maybe they were just talking. I know the boys were probably lonely. I guessed Soda saw be looking depressed, so he got up. “Hey, I’m sure he’s heading back now. Want a piece of cake to take your mind off of it?” He asked, flashing him a smile.

He came back a couple minutes later with a plate and fork full of cake. He sat down next to me and looked down at his plate. “You know, I know what you’re feeling.” He said stabbing his cake with his fork.

I looked at him. “Oh?” I said.

He nodded. “I asked Sandy to marry me, and she ran off to Florida. I guess I scared her something awful, and she didn’t want that I guess.” He looked up at me, his eyes were red and tearing up. He quickly wiped them away. “I’m still trying to accept it I guess.” He said giving a broken laugh at the end.

I put my plate on the couch and hugged Sodapop. He started crying harder. “I love her so much it hurts.” Soda gasped.

I nodded and patted his back. “I understand.” I thought long and hard while I was holding Soda. Maybe I loved Dallas. I always got this feeling in my stomach when I thought about him, and when I was with him it was like I was high, because I felt so happy. But maybe I didn’t want to admit I loved him, because I knew one day he was gonna take things too far and get killed.

After maybe ten minutes Soda broke the hug and wiped his eyes again. They were puffy and blood shot. Soda saw the worried look on my face, and playfully punched my arm. “Hey, let’s eat cake and be girls. I already got the crying part down.” He said.

I laughed and picked up my plate. I started to eat my cake and saw Soda eating his, still looking a little glum. At that moment people started flooding in. Soda stood up quickly, not wanting people to see him wrecked.

Steve eyes Soda cautiously as he sprinted away. “What’s up with Soda?” He asked.

I shrugged. “Probably needed to use the can.” I said taking another bite of my cake.

I looked at the clock nervously, watching the time go. It was about 7:00 now. I hadn’t even bothered getting up to wash my plate, and I had been done with it for two hours now.

Everyone started leaving, it was a Wednesday night, so maybe they had things to do. I understand. I wanted to stay until Dallas came, well, at least until maybe 11:00. Then my mum would start worrying about me.

I was laying down on the couch at this point, looking up at the ceiling. I was playing connect the dots with the little clumps in pain. I’d sigh every now and then.

I heard the phone ring, and I shot up. Darry picked up the phone in a flash, considering he was in his spot.

I looked hopefully at the boys, then Darry’s face lost its color. He slammed the phone down and stood up, grabbing his jacket. “Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dallas are in the hospital. They saved some kids in a church that was burning and we need to see them.” Darry said grabbing his keys.

Sodapop already had a jacket on, and so did I. “I’m going with you.” I said looking at them.

They nodded. We headed out the door and got in the truck. Darry started driving. I picked at my finger nails. I hope Dallas is okay… What if he dies from really bad burns, or broke something, or maybe he’s already dead?

I shook my head and ran my fingers through my silky hair. Finally we arrived to the hospital. I burst through the doors and went to the lady at the counter. She had dirty blond hair, and had dark circles under her eyes. “Where are Ponyboy Curtis, Dallas Winston, and Johnny Cade?” I asked.

She checked a list, flipped a page or two, and looked up at me. “Third floor.” She said flatly.

I turned around to tell them what she said, but they were already headed to the elevator. I joined them. The ride seemed to last forever. My heart felt like it was about to burst through my chest. When the door finally opened, I ran out. I saw Pony sitting with a fat man, smoking, he looked up at me and smiled.

I smiled at him and continues to run. I saw a nurse exit a room. She had black hair. “Where is Dallas Winston’s room?” I asked.

She gave me a soft smile. “He’s across the hall. The doctors are checking up on him. I suggest you wait by the chair.” She said.

I nodded and headed towards the door. I sat down and waited. My foot tapped a million times. The Curtis family walked up to me. “How is he?” They asked.

“I’m waiting to find out.” I said smiling meekly, but failed.

Darry nodded. “We can wait if you want…” He said.

I shook my head. “You guys need to catch up, and clean up.” I said looking at Ponyboy, whose hair was now blond and short. His face was also very black. “Nice do, pony.” I said joking around.

Ponyboy gave a laugh, then yawned.

Darry ruffled his hair. “Yeah, I think we all need some sleep. We’ll see you tomorrow.” Darry said turning around with his brothers.

I waved them goodbye and waited again. I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes, taking a few deep breaths.

Finally the doctor came out with a clip board, and looked down at me. He gave me a smile. “Visitor of… Dallas?” He asked.

I nodded and stood up. “How is he?” I asked.

He looked down at his clipboard. “He’s broken a few ribs and has some minor burns and bruises. He should be fine. He’s sleeping right now, he may have to stay a few days just in case.” He said nodding.

“Can I just… Sit with him for a little bit?” I asked.

The doctor nodded and opened the door for me. Dallas was lying in the white bed, he wasn’t wearing a shirt. I closed the door behind me and grabbed a chair and pulled it next to his bed. I sat down and looked at him.

His chest rose, and fell lightly. His necklace in the middle of his built chest. I bit my lip and saw the little burns and bruises scattered across his arms. They were hardly noticeable, but to me they were.

His hand was dangling off the edge, so I grabbed it and held onto it. I felt a lump in my throat and a tear rolled down my cheek. I could have lost him. I could be outside his door right now, and be getting the news from the doctor he simply just couldn’t make it.

I wiped away the tear with my free hand. I rubbed my thumb on his hand and looked at his face. His face was relaxed, but every now and then he would ruffle his eyebrows and fidget. He must be having a nightmare about the church.

I looked at the clock and saw it was 11:30. I looked back at Dallas. I stood up, still holding his hand. I brushed the hair away from his closed eyes, and kissed him on the lips. I let go of his hand, it was getting sweaty. I stood there for a minute or two, and turned and left the room. Then the hospital. Then headed home.