11

The hummer slowed down when I told Zak that we were getting close to facility. It was a long drive, a couple of hours to say the least out to where the main facility in that town was located. Maneuvering the vehicle to a shady spot of trees, he parked the hummer underneath them and peered out the windshield. Up ahead of us was a gate with a sign hung on it.

No trespassing.

"That's definitely it," I commented lightly as I eyed the bright white sign with bolded red letters.

"The gate looks old, think it's electrified?" Valkyrie asked.

"Most likely. But that'll be easy to take care of," I replied and pulled the handle to the back of the hummer. The trunk end of the car popped open and I let myself out. The group followed me, piling out of the car to stand around in the dirt as they eyed the gate and beyond that, the tall six story building.

"So, how exactly do you plan to deal with an electrified gate?" Jace asked, the dark irritation in his voice making me smirk at him.

Sometimes it was just too easy, "By shorting it out, how else?"

He narrowed his eyes at me as I walked past him and pulled at Holy Grail. The moment my wings were fully extended from my back and no longer flush with my skin, I lashed out with the drugs power. White light cracked from my body in a thin, jagged line. As it hit the gate, there was a loud popping sound as the two forces collided. Feeding the electricity more power, the popping soon turned to a sharp, single crack and then nothing. The smell of burned wires from somewhere along the gate filled the air.

Turning, I gestured to the gate as I gave Jace a wider grin. He rolled his eyes at me and walked up to the gate. Hesitating for a moment, he finally reached out and grabbed the metal roughly. It was a brief, cruel thought and I almost did it if only to see the reaction, but for a moment I contemplated sending out a bit of a shock against the metal to see what he would do. As Jace settled, I bit back my thoughts. Pulling the gate open, he stepped aside to allow the rest of us through.

Hmm... Killian is right. I am a little different I guess, I thought to myself as I took the lead toward the facility. I never would have thought to tease another person before, much less for any amusement of my own or anyone else. It was a strange feeling really, but it wasn't like I didn't know what it was. Rather, it was just that it had been years since I'd felt anything other than rage that it was just a little odd to be able to feel... human again. To have other feelings such as happiness, amusement, love... It was nice, but not what I was used to. Not yet anyway.

It was a short trip to the building. We kept off the main road, skirting the edge over to the side of the building. The large glass doors that led inside swiveled as a handful of guards moved out into the open. The sounds of the gate popping and cracking had probably gathered their attention. I frowned a little as we watched them go, ducking down in the ditch to keep from being seen.

"Damn it, Ryker," Jace hissed at me, "We might as well just waltz right in the front fucking door!"

"It's only five guys."

"That's not the point!"

I shrugged at him, "If you hate it so much then maybe you shouldn't have asked how we were getting in and done it yourself."

My reply did nothing to sate him as he glowered at me. I returned his icy stare, narrowing my eyes at him. Such an insufferable bastard, I thought to myself as I sighed and shook my head slightly. On the other hand, they were damned lucky that I wasn't launching myself straight at the building and tearing apart the first guard and scientist in a white coat that I could get my hands on; because that was definitely something I dearly wanted to do. Instead, I kept to the plan and headed to the far side of the building via the ditch we had jumped into upon entering the premise.