Chapter 68: But I blame it All on Who Made You So Irresistible

Start from the beginning

"To you Miss Pompeo," he raised his glass to her, "and another absurd amount of money we wouldn't be making without your captivating eyes and contagious smile." He had intended the comment to be light but it came out incredibly sincere.

Together they finished their glasses of wine, and then the next and then a fresh bottle. Before they knew it they were laughing too loud and sitting too close. The dusk had turned into a clear Los Angeles night sky and the restaurant had filled with a collection of local regulars. None of which seemed to pay much attention to the primetime pair huddled in the corner.

Ellen glanced to her phone, "What is it about you that make me lose track of time?"

"The McDreaminess," he answered her jokingly.

"You know, you have to be the worst person in the world for that  damn nickname. Straight to your head." She smiled.

"Come on," he pleaded, "what is it then?"

He admired her pinked cheeks and her messy hair noticing that she had a little bit more to drink then she should have. Patrick wondered if he had overdone it as well.

"Essential?..." Ellen jumped back to a conversation that had passed hours ago. "What does that mean?"

Patrick laughed, "what are you asking?"

"If you meant the things you were saying today," Ellen inquired with a flirty smile.

Patrick cleared his throat buying him some time, "you don't need me to tell you how incredibly sexy you are."

A moment of silence passed as Ellen's eyes hovered over his. Without breaking eye contact she spoke in quiet adventurous whisper, "That's not the part I was wondering about."

"I believe I made myself pretty clear," he whispered back. "You were the one that didn't follow through."

The restaurant quieted, as if time stood still for a moment. Patrick could have sworn that he could feel his heart beating in his lips. "I'll meet you half way," she said softly as she leaned into him.

Every nerve in his body burned with desire. Her beautiful eyes twinkled in his. He could feel her breath on his lips. She was so close he could almost taste her.

Patrick closed the space between them, his mind blurred, his heart raced. He had kissed her a hundred times but never like this. It had never been a choice, an instinct. He ran his thumb across her jawline and then his fingers through her hair. It was familiar and foreign all at the same time.

Forgetting that they were simply in the dark corner of a crowded restaurant his body reacted as quickly as his heart. The echoes in his mind drowned out by the lightening inside of him. His hands moved down her sides. She pulled away from him abruptly, "Patrick," his name came out in a gust of her breath.

Their eyes still locked. He watched her breath heavy in her chest. He wanted to close the space between them once again. She broke eye contact, he felt his soul panic. He wanted to find her eyes again. Instead he reached for his glass, finishing his entire glass of wine.

"We should walk," he suggested pulling a hundred dollar bill out of his pocket and tossing it onto the table.

He stood up and extended his hand to her to help her get out of the booth. She held it moments after they stood.  Patrick realized just how crowded this bar had gotten and felt her hand slip between his fingers once again.

They reached the bottom of the stairs, their cars parked directly in front of them.

"Chris is..." Ellen began.

Patrick cut her off, "I know, we should go home."

Ellen was surprised by his shortness, "In Boston," she continued, "Chris is in Boston."

He realized that she was inviting him over. "El," her name nearly growled from his lips. "I want to."

"Too much at stake," she added. "I get it."

"I just think we should take it slow," his Mcdreamy eyes sparkled again, "this isn't just a one night stand to me." He started to walk her to her car, "I care about you."

He watched the surprise cross over her face when she realized that Jillian wasn't what he was worried about losing.  

Ellen made it to the car as he opened the door for her. She started it. The windows automatically rolling down. He leaned in through the window. He kissed her softly on the lips. He watched her bit her lips as she pulled away. "Your loss Dempsey," she joked.

"Hmm," he breathed, "yes it is." With that she drove away. He walked to his car. Every step took him further away from clarity and closer to the confusion. The drive home was far too quick. He tasted her on his lips and smelled her on his skin. He pulled into his driveway wondering what would happen tomorrow.