Chapter 27

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly -Unknown

What? How?" he says as he moves closer to my bed. He looks at me closely before running to get the doctor.

The doctor comes in and tells me I have to take a lot of tests to make sure I'm okay and that headaches and dizziness may occur. After what feels like hours he finally clears me to go back to the safe house.

"Daddy?"

"Yes sweetie?"

"If you've been staying here, where does mum think you are?" I'd been wondering ever since I remembered what happened.

"Oh, I told her I was back in York searching for you since I 'found' a note in your room saying that this wasn't home and you wanted to go back." He sighs "I've called her every day giving her updates and she seems to believe me so far."

I never would have seen my dad as a liar. He was the one who taught me about honesty and why it was so important.

"Oh, okay. You're sneaky, a lot sneakier than I would have ever thought. It's like you're this whole new person that I never knew."

"Yes, well in a way, you're correct. I've always hidden this side from you; I didn't know if you would inherit the gifts or not. You're the first girl to be born and you know what that means. But I wasn't sure if it was some sort of fluke. Not until the night you used your power did I know for sure." He smiles and walks into the living room, pulling me along.

Shane and Sophia are lounging on the sofas with their coffees when we walk in. "You're out!" they both say in unison with smiling faces.

"Yeah, I'm out." I say, keeping it short. They should be apologizing to me for not knowing my endurance level.

"So, how did you get your memories back?" Shane asks.

"Grant." I tell them. My dad immediately sits down, wanting to hear this.

Shane goes off, anger consuming him. "Grant?! You let him near you again? After what he did?" He's almost yelling as he walks around the room.

"Hey, I asked him for help, he did and that's what happened. Don't freak out."

My dad looks at me but doesn't say anything, I know he wants the details but I don't want to tell in front of Shane or Sophia. He stands and points in the direction of my room. I nod, this is it.

"Okay, you know I need to know how it happened. How did he help you?"

"I searched for him-" I start but as I sit on my bed I feel the tears forming in my eyes.

"Kat, I need to know everything. It'll help to know how advanced he is and how far you are you in your abilities. I need to gauge where you are so I can start training you properly." He sits down next to me and sees my eyes. He pulls me into a hug and I tell him everything.

"And then he wanted out, I tried to stop him, he already knew how I felt, something I was even unsure of until I saw and felt my own emotions, but that didn't matter. He told me we could never be together. It's not like I had thought that far ahead, but he won't even give me a chance because I'm not a vampire. I'm not good enough." My dad hugs me tighter.

"You are enough. Any boy who doesn't think that is not good enough for my daughter. I know rejection hurts, but you will get through it and you'll be even stronger than you already are. I love you sweetie." Listening to him makes me cry harder because I know he's right. I deserve someone who treats me like an equal.