Chapter 9

The most confused we ever get is when we try to convince our heads of something our hearts know is a lie. -Karen Moning

        When I show up for class the next day, I feel like I'm just going through the motions. My mind is numb. I know I look hungover from lack of sleep for fear that I would see Grant and have to tell him the reason he was taken is me. I should be hungover. This would have been the best reason to drink. And then I'd have a reason to look this bad.

I see Sophia waiting for me at the steps by my first class. She's excited about something and I can tell she is about to burst from holding it in. But she doesn't know that she's the last person I want to see now that I found her file and know her real reason for being my friend.

She starts to talk when I walk towards my class but I can't deal with her and my look of disgust that I can't get off of my face makes her pause. I raise my hand to stop her completely. "Sorry I have class, we can talk later" and head into my classroom. I see her out of the corner of my eye looking shocked but she leaves.

The next time I see her is at lunch. I know I can't put my hand by her face and walk away, again. I'll have to fake it with her. I wish I didn't have so much experience with this. I wish I could have had just one real friend who liked me for me, without my mum paying them.

I get into the lunch line and see Lucy for the first time since I stood her up. She looks me up and down and I can feel her using her power and sensing my emotional state. She said before that I'd know when she did it, but the feeling is still so strange. It feels like your whole body fell asleep; those feelings of pins and needles and you have to shake to get your blood moving again. It's that, but to a lesser extreme. When she finishes, she gives me a sad look and doesn't come any closer. She instead moves toward her usual lunch table and sits down with Axel, Erik and a few others I flat-out don't know at all.

I walk slowly over to my lunch table where Sophia is already seated. She brought her lunch today, which in hindsight I should've done since its meatloaf Monday for lunch and it looks nothing like meatloaf. She glances over at me, a wondering look in her eye and I decide I should just come clean. And by clean, I mean lie.

"I'm sorry about this morning, I didn't get my coffee and I'm not the best person without it." She seems pleased with my apology and lights up again.

"That's okay, you just had me worried. Anyway, I have some big news!" she pauses and drum rolls on the table top to give me the full effect, "I'm officially starting for the next game! And it's a home game so you must come watch! My parents will be there too!"

She's absolutely giddy with excitement and I do my best to replicate that. I think I'm doing a good job, she seems to be buying it, but Lucy isn't. I see Lucy out of the corner of my eye and she knows I'm faking it. She knows something happened but I won't let her get close to me. I ignore the look Lucy gives, knowing I can see her and continue making a scene with Sophia.

"Umm of course I'll be there, is that even a question?! I want to see you kick some volleyball ass!" Sophia starts laughing out loud at my comment.

Apparently you don't kick ass in volleyball.

"Kat, I can't believe you just said that! You're so happy for me and you haven't even seen me play yet, for all you know I could suck!" I smile at her, "If you weren't good, they'd never let you start, so I'm calling bullshit on that one" she continues laughing and we walk to our separate classes.

I walk into my dad's classroom and I see Lucy staring at me. I give her a tight nod and drop the note on the desk next to her and continue walking to my seat. I see her pick it up and put it in her pocket. In class I let my façade disappear and I'm no longer the happy girl Sophia saw me as. My dad notices the change too but doesn't understand it. He hands back our tests and he's happy to give mine back. I take a look at it and it's a 94%. I give him a small smile and then settle back into my depression.

The rest of the school day goes by quickly and when we head home after school I can't wait to get back into my bed. I want to find Grant again and really apologize now that I know it's all my fault.

That doesn't happen though. My mum is waiting for me.

I know this chapter is a bit short, but it was the only place I could cut it off before a lot of things are revealed. Comment and vote if you're enjoying! Thanks for reading!

Xoxo Megan