Chapter 19

I didn't lose you. You lost me. You'll search for me inside of everyone you're with and I won't be found.  -R.H.Sin

             As we walk down the hallway I realize in order for us to leave it'll have to look like we work here.  Grant follows me as I lead him to the place I went to on the first day that I arrived. The room that every lab worker had to go into to receive their coats for the day. The lockers didn't have locks on them luckily so we just opened and started picking out clothes to wear. Grant meanders in the lockers and finds a pair of thick black rimmed eye glasses. He puts them on and turns around making a silly face, I can't help but laugh. "You look adorable in those dorky glasses" I say quickly and instantly regret it. I blush awkwardly as I wonder where the filter was for my brain to stop me from saying humiliating things?  He turns back with a shy smile and keeps them on.

         We continue looking around to find more disguises and Grant finds a baseball cap. The Brewers. My sour look makes him laugh quietly. "Not a Brewer's fan I take it?"
"And what could have given you that impression?" I start to smile, my sarcasm falls apart and I tell him I'm a Cubs fan. "Oh, so you're used to disappointment then?" He asks.

         "Oh hardy har har, you think you're so funny, but we have a new coach, Joe, so we'll see who's laughing at the end of the season." I swat his hat off his head and he laughs before picking it up and putting it back on.

            We look at ourselves one last time in the mirror before heading out.  Grant looks up and down and himself and then I see him eye me over once. I keep my eyes on myself the whole time, not wanting to make awkward eye contact in the mirror. My hair is up, full face of makeup, thanks to whoever thinks they need a whole beauty counter in their locker, a form fitting blue  Calvin Klein dress and Mary Janes. We walk out together and walk toward the elevator.  I swipe the badge I took from the locker once inside and the elevator heads up to the first ground floor.

           I open up the folder I also swiped from the locker and pretend to go over the paperwork as we make our way to the lobby. We head straight through the lobby and see a large number of people standing in a circle. I get a little nervous that they could be onto us and  decide to walk by a little quicker and try to not be noticed. Unfortunately I see someone I recognized from the think-tank and they walk over to us. I quickly push Grant and whisper to keep walking and I'll catch up. He frowns and shakes his head and tells me he's not leaving without me. I internally shake my head back at him, he's risking being discovered.

             The woman walks over, "Hey! I wanted to get you to look at this really quick. Heading home for the night?" I nod and she smiles at me, then turns to Grant. "Oh, I haven't seen you before, and what's your name handsome?" Grant smiles slightly and then sees my face and his smile fades. He probably thinks I'm jealous.  Okay I might be, he's my first real friend, but it's not just that. This woman is the one that was in the room when they discussed the device that can control all vampires.

           I bud in, not even wanting Grant to speak to her.  "This is Gregg, he's from the office in the UK, just visiting. Gregg, I can meet you outside, I'm sure you're not interested in this." I'm internally begging, pleading him to get out of here.

            "Oh I'd actually love to know what you've been working on, and no need to introduce me as just a coworker, I'm sure she can keep our secret." I look at him in confusion, what does he think he's doing? "We're together" he says as he brings me in close. I blush instantly and look down at my shoes. "Oh. . . oh well you're only lucky girl, he's a hottie, I'll keep that secret don't worry. Oh and here are the serum updates I've been working on." I grab the folder as my blush deepens, he's having too much fun with this. I open up the folder she's handed to me and start reading. Grant takes a look too, his brows furrowing when he realizes what they're working on.  I realize we need to leave before he blows our cover. I hand the folder back to Sydney. "Sydney it looks great, I think I'll have to take a more in depth look in the morning though, Gregg, are you ready to head out?" Sydney looks up at me, "Oh thank you, here, just have this one and look it over on your downtime, this is just a copy. You and your boyfriend can look it over and give me some notes on it in the morning, have a great night!"