Ch3- Am I homeless?

Good afternoon lovelies!! It's finally starting to feel like fall here, and I'm excited for pumpkin flavored everything!! I hope you're having a lovely season ❤️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Molly's POV*
By the time I get home, the sun has set, casting spooky shadows down the hall. Rayne was kind enough to walk me to the lobby of my apartment complex, but I insisted I was alright to walk on my own after that. I'm embarrassed of my home.

I unlock the door to my apartment, and step inside, switching on the light. A mess of unwashed dishes, dirty clothes, random books, and other miscellaneous items are scattered about in complete disarray.

Instead of tending to the mess, I step carefully around the mess to my futon and pick up Poe, my stuffie polar bear. He's seen better days. His fur is matted and flat; now a dingy, yellow shade when he was once snowy white. The stuffing in his legs has been crushed from years of being rolled on top of when I sleep. He smells faintly of sweat- but he's my most prized possession.

I pull him into a hug and smile, reliving the night in my head. Nothing can ruin tonight, it was the best night I've ever had! I picture again how handsome Rayne is, and how he held my hand, and asked me if we could do this again next week...

My daydreams are brought to a screeching halt when the phone rings. The number belongs to my landlord, and I haven't paid rent yet. I feel my palms sweating, and hesitantly reach for the phone. Before I answer, I take a deep breath to try and keep the trembling out of my voice.

"Hello?" I say, forcing myself to sound cheerful. "Molly, this is Dave," My landlord sounds tense and my heart suddenly beats faster. "I'm sorry sweety, but I can't put this off any longer. If you can't pay in full tomorrow, you'll have to move." My stomach lurches and my mouth goes dry. I try to stay calm, but my eyes are blurring with tears.

"If I can just have one more week," I plead, "I'll have my paycheck, I'll be able to pay it off." Dave sighs heavily, causing the line to crackle. "I'm sorry. I hate to do this, but I've already given you a few warnings. I'm not a charity home, I can't let you rent an apartment without paying."

I mentally kick myself for losing control of my emotions, they come flooding out in rattling breaths and an awkwardly cracking, tear-soaked voice. "I couldn't pay earlier, I used my last paycheck for medicine."

Dave sounds genuinely distressed and sympathetic when he replies. "I know, but that leftover cash didn't pay rent, and I've already made exceptions to let you stay here. You're a sweet girl, Molly, but my job is on the line. Have the rent paid in full, or have your bags packed by tomorrow afternoon. I've done all I can, I'm sorry."

I can't stop myself from crying, and
after an awkward pause, Dave says, "Goodnight," and the line goes dead.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm so glad I finished this chapter! I've been über busy, and had so much trouble fitting in time to write (⌒-⌒; ) Thank you so much for your nice comments and votes!!! ❤️